Startseite Aktuelles Update Geschichten Kategorien Bilder Forum - Der Baum Links Hilfe Kontakt
  „Meeting in Moonlight” by Deona Lindholm,   January 2012
Disclaimer:  Earth: Final Conflict belongs to Tribune Entertainment Co., Lost Script Prod. Inc., Atlantis Films and VOX. Please don't publish this story without permission of the author.
 
Summary:  Mere days after arriving on Earth, an unexpected meeting between a human and a Taelon begins a much larger story.
Setting:  Aftermath of Silent Falls meltdown
Characters:  Da'an, Mit'gai, Phenora, An'jil
Author's Note: This is the first story in the Songcrafter series.
Author's Note 2: The tune that seems to fit once the sun sets would be “A Stray Child”, from .hack//SIGN.
Also, if you see any words italicized and having brackets around some letters, it's intentional. I managed to get my hands on the Eunoia Lexicon, so while I'll be using some of it, what I said before about words like this being in Eunoia still stands.
 

 

MEETING IN MOONLIGHT

Chapter 4: Transition

 


Once Da'an entered his quarters, he found that Phenora was slumped at the table. At first he had thought that she had become ill or unconscious until he got close to her. That was when he heard light sounds in a rhythmic pattern, coming from her.

The young teenager was asleep.

He sighed mentally, smiling a little. He gently picked her up and carried her to the human bed.

For a human, she is relatively light. At least I will not need to get her to rest for later.

He set her down just as gently and made sure that she was comfortable before going back outside, carrying his own flute again. He had checked the time and found that his talk with Mit'gai was not for another hour and 45 minutes, so he intended on practicing until then.

* * *

Precisely two hours after the young human had left the infirmary, Da'an entered it. Mit'gai stood in the main examining room and said, “I have the results of her testing.”

“I take it at least some of them are cause for concern.”

“Correct. On average for humans, she would be classed as underweight. Also, the tests on her blood has uncovered numerous deficiencies.”

“She did state that she is a vegetarian and had been eating only fruits, berries and grass. However, this has concerned me for some time. I have...taken steps to ensure that this is corrected.”

“That would certainly help. There is some better results of the testing.”

“And they are?”

“She has all the markers, physiologically, of Songcrafter traits. As I said to An'jil, her mind and ears interpret the languages of nature as music and songs, which she has an affinity for. She may also have an easier time learning our language than other humans.”

“Now all that remains is for An'jil to conduct his own tests on her potential.”

“And for her to be matched to a Patron. That concerns me as well. There are those that would not be receptive to the process, with the students being human. Zo'or, for one.”

“I know this as well, or better, than you do,” the diplomat said, voice pained, “I will do whatever it may take to ensure that Phenora is matched. Her abilities cannot be allowed to go to waste.”

“I agree.”

“Is there anything else?”

“No.”

“Then I will be on my way. I will need to enter the energy shower early.”

Mit'gai nodded and watched as Da'an left the infirmary.

* * *

As soon as he returned to his quarters, he saw that Phenora was still sleeping, then quickly went to his chair and activated the energy shower. Almost immediately, he heard, through the Commonality, the voice of Quo'on.

--How goes it with the human girl?--

--It goes well. Mit'gai conducted his examinations on her earlier. An'jil will start his soon.--

--About that...day after tomorrow, you will resume work on restoring Silent Falls. My orders about her assisting still stands, as do the ones about her remaining with you.--

--Understood.--

* * *

The first thing that Phenora heard when she woke up was a soft, gentle hum that was almost melodic.

It sounds...pretty.

That was when she realized that she was lying on the bed...which meant she was still in Da'an's quarters.

Wait a minute...I had finished that nice lunch. My eyes burned and I felt tired. Did I drowse off? That would mean that I was carried to the bed...and only one I know of that might, especially without waking me up. That's so sweet of him.

She sat up and looked about her. In front of her was a set of energy beams, moving in an arc, all of which was centered on one location. At that space, the beams seemed to simply float, surrounding something that was lying still on what looked like a bed that was as fancy as the chair she had seen before. The one on that bed had a human shape, but was made out of something that looked like a cross between energy, crystal and sapphires.

I wonder, is that...Da'an? Wow...!

She smiled and whispered something in a low voice.

After a few moments, the energy streams slowed, as as they slowly stopped, the bed actually shifted until it became the chair from earlier...and the jewel-like being regained its more familiar form.

“I see you are awake,” Da'an said to her.

“Yeah, I woke up a few minutes ago. If I woke you from your nap--”

“You did not, so don't apologize.” He blinked slowly and then asked, “Were you referring in the general sense, or on a personal level?”

“Excuse me?”

“Your whisper. I believe your words were, 'How come you don't show the humans how beautiful you really are?'”

She turned beet red at this. “You heard me?”

“Yes.”

“Well...I was meaning in general.”

He looked at her with an expression in his eyes that surprised her.

Is that look mischievous?

“I do believe that is, as humans would put it, payback for the comment about names this morning.”

“Y-yeah, it would be called payback. The question, though, was legitimate, and so was the sense.”

“Ah. We have found that humans are more comfortable with beings that more closely resemble themselves. That is why we prefer to use the facade when in contact with your species.”

“That explains it. By the way, what time is it?”

“It is late afternoon, close to twilight.”

“You let me sleep that late?” she asked, incredulous, “I'll not be getting any sleep tonight.”

“That was the intention. I have seen and been in this forest proper during the day. However in the evening, I have only gone as far as the clearing.”

“Well, if that was the idea, you're in for a treat. Around this time of year, a lot of night creatures come out, like nightingales, other night birds...especially fireflies. They tend to gather all around, but mostly at the waterfall.” She paused and added, “Tonight is when they'll be at their most. It's a sight to see. A lot of them won't be turning in until dawn.”

“So neither will we.”

“You sure you'll be okay with that? You'll be up way past your bedtime, too.”

At first he looked puzzled, then said, “If my interpretation of your words is correct, there is no need to worry. It is why I entered the energy shower so early.”

The young woman laughed and said, “In that case, pick an instrument or two. It's going to be a fun night.”

* * *

Within minutes, Da'an and Phenora were walking from the Taelon domiciles. Both had their flutes, but the Diplomat also had, around his waist, the valuveula. Both made sure to use the earth instruments to greet the forest and the animals.

Good evening, two-legged one and Friend Da'an, the familiar cardinal from before replied, You come on a good night.

Which is why we came, Da'an replied.

Follow me. The night birds will awaken shortly.

The two quickly followed the bird to the waterfall. The sun was very low in the sky, seemingly setting the area aflame, and coloring the waters in golden amber.

“What a sight,” she said in an awed voice.

“I must agree,” the Taelon replied in similar tones.

I am glad that you two came tonight, the bird spoke as both sat down near the usual rocks, for this will be the last.

The two beings looked at each other, puzzled. She then asked, Why? What do you mean?

I may not seem it, but I am old, and so is the blue jay. When us two birds sleep this night, we shall not wake again.

Her eyes widened with shock and she whispered out loud, forgetting to use the flute, “No...it can't be. I found both of you when I came to this forest. Your wings were injured, and I nursed you back to health.”

We will be forever grateful for it, but our time on this plane will soon end.

“No...”

Da'an quietly said, “We all must pass into the next level, Phenora, even you and I. Taelons are taught not to fear it.”

“I-I'm not afraid of it....but...death really hurts those left behind, at least for us humans.”

“We are affected by passing of others as well.”

The blue jay flew and landed beside the cardinal, close to the human and Taelon. We have one last request, the birds said in unison, We will remain near you tonight. By the time that the stars start to disappear, our souls will have flown free. We ask that you place our bodies in the earth, in this place.

Phenora's eyes shone with tears, but she managed to reply, using the flute, We'll do it.

As the sun began to set and began its song that the two could hear, the birds fluttered nearby and chirped to Da'an. He nodded and held out one hand, palm up. The blue jay landed on it and closed its eyes, as did the Taelon.

What's he doing now? She wondered as she watched as blue lines filled his entire face for a few moments. When he regained his facade, the bird flew off of his hand and onto the rock beside him, while the cardinal landed on the hand, closing its eyes as well.

I don't dare ask what they're doing, she thought, maybe not until later, and remained silent until the facade resumed and the red bird landed beside her.

“What was that?” she asked, in spite of herself.

“I will explain at a later time.” He whispered to the birds, “Thank you.”

Now I know how it feels to fly in the air on a pair of wings...

They both chirped.

When the sun finished setting, they could see the day birds going to sleep in their nests, while owls started coming out, right along with the graceful, black birds. Other animals showed themselves as they walked by, including some deer. The glow from bright dots began to move in the air.

“Those dots are the fireflies,” she said quietly.

The nightingales chirped to the cardinal and blue jay, who answered back. While that discussion was going on, Da'an set his flute down gently and turned on the Taelon instrument that he had with him. Columns of light shot out from each of the parts that she had previously thought were candle holders.

I think he's going to play some music from his world, the young lady said, using her flute, you're in for a treat!

She watched as he began to move his hands slowly and gracefully through the light columns. He moved them in all different directions, and he did so more slowly than on the other one that he had used the other night.

Whoa...this sounds a bit like what I heard the other day, on those tapes he gave me. Is this one of the instruments used in that? It sounds really pretty! This tone, though....it's also sad...like it's saying goodbye.

Little did she realize that Da'an had chosen this song as a farewell to the cardinal and blue jay. The other songs he chose were more upbeat, yet they also seemed to complement the nightingales, fireflies and everything else that was still living.

It's like these songs from this world of his were meant to be here, all along. That's how it feels to me.

“You're...really good at that one, Da'an.”

“I beg to differ. There are other Taelon Songcrafters that are much better at it than I. It is a very difficult instrument to master.”

She chuckled and said, “I haven't heard them, but I've heard you.”

He smiled a small, wry smile, then replied, “Casting my own words back at me will not change the facts.”

“Worth a shot.”

He blushed a dark blue. If she had been able to tell which emotion was which, Phenora would have known that her Taelon friend was laughing.

The two continued to play their instruments, he on the valuveula, she on the flute until the stars disappeared, and the sky turned gray, and then into multiple colors.

“You've never heard the sunrise music, have you?”

“No.”

“Then you're the one in for a treat.”

Both of them listened quietly as they heard something that sounded very soft at first, then gradually louder, yet not too loud. It seemed to be calling for the living things to awaken from sleep. Slowly, the flowers around them began to open their petals, as though in response to the song. Even Da'an could feel something course through him while it played.

How could I have never been out of the energy shower during this? It is beyond beautiful, he thought.

He then looked carefully and said very softly, “Phenora.”

She was looking away from him and her shoulders shook.

“Phenora?”

“The...the birds...”

Beside them, the cardinal and the bluejay lie on their sides, their eyes closed. He did not need to look at them closely to know that they had both passed into the next level.

He put down the Taelon instrument and turned her gently. He was not surprised to see tears falling down her face.

Death really hurts those left behind, she had said earlier.

“I know,” he replied as he blushed blue, losing his facade for a few moments, “I mourn their passing as well.”

She nodded and brushed her face, then said, “I've got...something I have to do.”

“No.”

“Huh?”

“Something we have to do.”

She looked at him, surprised. “You'll get your hands dirty.”

“I know, and for once, I do not care.”

“Thanks, Da'an...”

The two found a spot, near those very rocks and used their hands to dig two holes in the ground. After they were dug deep enough, they put the two small bodies into the ground, then filled the holes. Phenora grabbed two small sticks and a jagged rock, then carved a cross into each one before putting the sticks into the ground, at the head of each tiny grave.

“You're gonna be missed, you two,” she said, “You always stood watch at the edge of the forest after your wings healed, even after Da'an and his people came. You can rest now.”

The Taelon then spoke in his own language, something that was low and gentle. After he fell silent, she said, “I should get my clothes.”

“Your...clothes?”

“The ones in the cave. I don't think I can go back in here after today...not for a long while anyway, so I should get my things now.”

“I understand. You may still stay in my quarters, if you like.”

“I will. Thanks.”

She quickly went to the cave where she had been living and grabbed her other two outfits, then went back to the Taelon, who had the Taelon instrument around his waist and carrying his own flute. As she did, she picked up her own flute and grimaced. She heard the language of thunderstorms, coming their way.

“Another--”

“Yes, I heard it too,” he replied.

“This one will be here all day, then will be gone by morning. We'd better get back to the Taelon rooms before we both catch cold.”

“Catch cold?”

“You know...get sick from being out in the rain.”

“Taelons are not affected by most temperature changes, and the rain does not affect us either.”

“You've got it lucky, then. When we're out in rain or a storm, we tend to get sick.”

“Then we should hurry.”

Both managed to get inside the set of domiciles by the time that the first clap of thunder sounded, and into Da'an's quarters before the rain started falling.

“We should both rest until afternoon.”

“Yeah, good idea.”

* * *

As she had said, the storm lasted the entire day. She was grateful that when it was time for lunch and dinner, someone had come with salads, soy milk and tofu for the first meal and a batch of stir fry with tofu and water for dinner. She could tell just by looking at it that it had no meat in it.

After lunch, An'jil came by to do some of the aptitude tests, which went by quickly, to her mind. He had brought recordings of types of nature and had her listen to them. She had given the answers rather quickly, faster than he had expected.

She definitely can understand the languages of nature, but whether she can communicate with other than what is in the forest is yet to be seen. Da'an resumes his work in Silent Falls tomorrow, and she will go with him...as will I. The rest will be determined at that time.

He had noticed that her eyes were red, but the diplomat fixed such an expression onto the master Songcrafter that An'jil wisely decided not to even ask.

“When we rise in the morning,” Da'an said to her later, “I will be resuming work in Silent Falls, and you are going with me.”

“I was wondering when that was going to start.”

“First, we will be going into the town. There will be some other humans working with us that will be having first meal at the restuarant.”

“Breakfast, huh...wait, did you say 'we' on that one?” she asked, suddenly concerned.

“They will not harm you,” he said, “I, at the least, will make certain of that.”

She nodded, relieved. “It's funny...”

“What is?”

“A month ago, I would never have imagined that I'd be leaving the forest, much less being friends with two-legs...I mean beings, that come from space.”

“Nor would I have considered ever meeting someone like you.”

“Hm. Companions...”

“Excuse me?”

“In a way, I guess that really fits us, in all senses of the word.”

He gave a small smile but did not reply to the statement.

* * *

The next morning, Phenora, Da'an, Mit'gai, An'jil and a few other Taelons went into the town. As she feared, there were people that saw her and started to be hostile. All it took to silence them was for the Songcrafter, healer and the diplomat to get in front of her and give certain expressions to discourage any further attacks.

Once they arrived at the restaurant, she took a deep breath, opened the door and went in. Almost immediately, the people sitting at the tables looked up and the look on their faces showed disgust.

“Get out,” one of them said, “This place doesn't serve freaks.”

The fact that she was not alone encouraged her to reply with, “I've as much right to be here as you. I'm not leaving this time.”

“Then we'll just have to make you leave, won't we?” one of the patrons, a man that she recognized as a lumberjack, got up and cracked his knuckles. Two others, a man and a woman, got up as well, nasty looks on their faces.

As this was going on, the group of Taelons had entered and saw what was going on and quickly got between the two groups.

“I suggest you cease and desist,” Da'an said quietly, tone brooking no argument.

That was when the owner came out and said, “You bozos! Get back to your seats and shut up.”

“But--”

“Pete, she's helping the Companions with Silent Falls, starting today,” he said to the lumberjack, “So she's got right to be here.”

“She is also under our protection,” the diplomat added, “So any attacks, verbal or physical, would be highly discouraged.”

That made the small mob grumble and sit back down.

“I'll get your meal out, so take a seat with them,” the owner said to her.

“What about payment?” she asked.

“Don't worry about that, Langley,” was the only answer he gave before he went back into the kitchen.

She sat in a chair at an empty table and said to Da'an, “Thanks.”

“It is not a problem. I did say that you would be protected.”

The other Taelons also sat down near her, with the diplomat to the immediate left, all quiet.

A few minutes later, the owner came in with the meals for some of the people. He first went over to her table and set down a bowl filled with something brown and hot, as well as toast with margarine on it and a glass of orange juice. She looked at it curiously.

“It's oatmeal,” he explained, “Should work for you.”

“It does. Thanks,” she replied and started eating.

--How humans can be friendly towards us, yet be so savage towards one of their own kind...I will never understand,-- Mit'gai thought.

The other Taelons agreed.

--We are quite capable of finding any places on our own,-- one of the others thought, --Why do we need her?--

An'jil replied, --We do not, per se. However, the Songcrafters' testing of this human must be carefully customized, considering her past history that Da'an and Mit'gai have mentioned and witnessed. The work in Silent Falls will do perfectly for the rest of the tests.--

--That is more understandable,-- the others reluctantly agreed.

Once all the humans involved had finished eating, they went into two of the Taelon shuttles. Of course, Phenora went in her friend's shuttle, which already had her flute in it. Within minutes, they had arrived at the outskirts of the one town she had not set foot into in two years: Silent Falls.

“It's odd,” she murmured inside the shuttle.

“What is?”

“I haven't been here since around the time that I found out that my parents were dead. It's kind of surreal.”

Da'an said nothing, nor did the others.

“Time to see what all's hurt, if anything,” she continued nervously. She took a deep breath, then nodded to herself and raised the flute to her lips and began to play.

Wind, are you here? Is anything here that feels sick? She asked, then closed her eyes for a moment as An'jil watched.

After a moment, the wind swirled around her as it answered, There are plants and animals that scream in sickness. Do you hear them?

An'jil observed the exchange closely.

“Plants and animals are affected by the radiation from the meltdown. It's coming from the pond that's northeast of here, about three miles.”

The Taelons looked to the master Songcrafter, who nodded in confirmation.

This will be interesting indeed.

Over the course of the day, four other locations were found by Phenora and confirmed by the Taelons. All the while, An'jil was recording his findings so that he could put together a candidate's profile for her as soon as they returned to their domiciles.

The next few days went by in a similar fashion: breakfast at the restaurant, work on restoring Silent Falls during the day, lunch, followed by Da'an and Phenora out in the foothills at sunset, stargazing and chatting, just as they had done before.

During that time, An'jil officially submitted the teenager's profile as a candidate, along with his certification.

“Just barely in time for Patron's Interval,” he grumbled.

“How long does that period last?” she asked.

“Seven of your days. If you do not have a Patron before the end of that time, you will not be accepted as a student.”

“Yeah, Da'an told me about that. I hope I do get a Patron.”

--Being a late entry, the odds are not in her favor,-- An'jil communicated to Da'an, --You should be prepared for what may happen if...--

--That will not happen,-- the diplomat stated, --I will do whatever it takes.--

* * *

Seven days later, Phenora found herself very nervous, no matter what she had tried to do to calm herself. She had not gotten any word as of yet as to if she had been matched with a Patron or not.

I wonder what'll happen if I'm not matched, she thought, I'll probably go find another forest or place like that to live in. I still can't go back to the one here, not after those two birds died.

A few minutes after that thought, An'jil came by Da'an's quarters, where she was still staying.

“Da'an's not here, he's gone to see Mit'gai. If you want, I'll go get him,” she offered.

“No. It is you I am here to speak to,” the master Songcrafter replied.

“I-I see. What is it?”

“You have been matched.”

“Matched?” she asked, “You mean, to a Patron?”

“Yes,” he replied, “I will be honest, though, this matching was almost last minute. You almost were not.”

“I see,” she answered, letting out a sigh of relief.

“I will now go over the rules with you,” the Taelon continued, “The first and most important rule: while a student, you will conduct yourself with your best behavior, and not do anything that would besmirch the honor of the school or its staff.”

“I will always be on my best behavior,” she replied.

“Good. The second rule is this: To prevent favoritism, the identity of each student's Patron is kept anonymous, from both yourself and your peers. No student is to pursue or learn the identity of their Patron until the start of the Third Year.”

“That makes sense,” she admitted.

“Yes, it does. However, every week at the least, you are to write a progress report to your Patron, which we will send to him. You can send these reports more often if you wish, but they must be once a week at the least. Is that understood?”

“Yes.”

“Also...from now on, you will be referring to the members of the staff, including Taelons, by their proper titles. For example, you will call me Instructor An'jil, and Mit'gai as Healer Mit'gai, unless he says to continue addressing him without the title.”

“That's understandable.”

“Each student will reside in the dorms on the school grounds and will have a weekly allotment for things such as clothing, supplies, and other items. Curfew is at 9:00, lights-out is by 10:00. If you are caught in the hallways after lights-out without a good reason, there will be consequences. Understand?”

“Yes, Instructor.”

“You will have three school uniforms, which you are to keep in good condition and wear during classes and outside of the school. If you end up needing another after the third, it will come out of the weekly allotment.”

“That makes sense.”

“Speaking of the uniforms, the ones you receive are strictly for first and second years; if you make it to Third Year, you will receive a different one. Understand?”

“Yes, Instructor.”

“Are there any questions?”

“When am I to leave for San Francisco?”

“You will receive your uniform in a few hours, and depart tomorrow morning in the shuttle with Mit'gai and myself.”

“Should I tell Da'an when he gets back?”

“He already knows.”

“I see.”

“Is there anything else?”

“No, Instructor An'jil.”

“Then I will see you tomorrow morning, immediately after your first meal.”

She nodded and gave what she called the Taelon gesture, which he returned before leaving. After he left, she grabbed her flute and sat in one of the chairs, waiting.

Phenora didn't wait long. Within a few minutes, Da'an had returned.

“I see An'jil has spoken to you.”

“Yes, he did.”

“Are you not going to say goodbye to the forest?”

She paused before answering slowly, “Maybe I should. Although...I think the night the birds died, I already did.”

“No. You said your farewells to them, but not to the rest of the vicinity.”

She sighed, then nodded. “All right, then.”

“Shall we go?”

“Yeah. Let's get it out of the way. The sooner, the better.”

They both took up their flutes and left Da'an's quarters. Within minutes, both were outside, standing at the edge of the forest.

“It's ironic...the very place where my life changed is where the old one ends,” she said quietly.

“Yet, with every ending, a new beginning occurs, does it not?”

“I guess it does. It's definitely the case here. Well...here goes.”

Both raised their flutes and played, in unison, Good afternoon, forest. Good afternoon, West Wind.

The animals could be heard from within, asking, We have not heard from you within days. We worried that you might not speak with us again.

Phenora took a deep mental breath and replied, About that...the time has come for me to say goodbye to this place. Come the morning, I will be leaving with the Taelons.

The animals replied with protest, but the wind swirled about the two of them.

I knew this day would come...and in truth, I hoped for it. After all, you are a human and ideally should live amongst them. But, since that is not to be, you would live a better life with the Taelons. Friend Da'an, I entrust her to you and your race.

I thank you, Da'an replied.

I and the other winds blow everywhere, so if you should wish to speak to me or the others, just listen for us.

I will. Thanks. Goodbye, Phenora replied, although the last word in Naturesong came out, sad and difficult in tone. She then turned to the Taelon and said, “You want to see the sunset from here? It'll be the last time.”

“The last for a long time, yes, but not the last in your lifetime. We will see each other again.”

“We will?”

“Yes. This I promise you.”

“That makes me feel a bit better about all this,” she replied.

“Good. And to answer your question, I would be pleased to see such a sight. Let us go to the foothills. After a time, though, we must return. You will need your rest for what is to come.”

“Yeah...that's true. Da'an....thanks.”

“What is this for?”

So many reasons entered her mind, too many to speak out loud all at once, and she looked frustrated because of it.

Try with Naturesong, she heard the wind whisper. She nodded and began to play her thoughts and emotions.

My thanks....for finding me that first night...For stopping me from leaving...

For protecting me from those children and the townspeople...

For the birthday presents at the Carribean...

For exploring the forest with me...

For being there when the birds died, for helping me bury them...

For letting me help you with restoring the town...

For turning me onto this new life...

For being my friend...

As she played these emotions and thoughts, Da'an not only lost his facade, but was moving not only his head, but his hands as well, more than he usually did. As the notes faded, he regained his human form and spoke, voice quiet and hushed.

“This is rare...I find myself speechless.”

She laughed at that and lead the way towards the foothills. It would be years before she would realize that Da'an's unusual reaction meant that he had been deeply touched by her sentiments.

 

END

 

Zurück / Back

 

Zum Seitenanfang