Startseite Aktuelles Update Geschichten Kategorien Bilder Forum - Der Baum Links Hilfe Kontakt
  „Meeting in Moonlight” by Deona Lindholm,   December 2011
Disclaimer:  Earth: Final Conflict belongs to Tribune Entertainment Co., Lost Script Prod. Inc., Atlantis Films and VOX. Please don't publish this story without permission of the author.
 
Summary:  Mere days after arriving on Earth, an unexpected meeting between a human and a Taelon begins a much larger story.
Setting:  Aftermath of Silent Falls meltdown
Characters:  Da'an, Mit'gai, Phenora, An'jil
Author's Note: This is the first story in the Songcrafter series.
Author's Note 2: I've named one of the recurring characters that is introduced here, An'jil, after a friend of mine.
Also, if you see any words italicized and having brackets around some letters, it's intentional. I managed to get my hands on the Eunoia Lexicon, so while I'll be using some of it, what I said before about words like this being in Eunoia still stands.
 

 

MEETING IN MOONLIGHT

Chapter 3: Preparing for Transition

 


After returning the shuttle and seeing Phenora to the edge of the forest, Da'an returned to his quarters, carrying his flute and books. The two of them had stayed on the island in the Carribean until well after the sun had set, merely exploring the island and listening to the songs of nature that were new to both of them, as well as enjoying each others' company.

Though I deal with the humans and see their sides...through the eyes of this innocent young woman and the gift we both have, I am seeing the beauty of this planet's nature and the possibilities of humanity.

The experience was exhilarating, but he was also tired. Before he could rest, though, he had one piece of business with the Commonality. Soon, he was mentally speaking to them.

Quo'on chided, --You have been spending your evenings and nights away. What is it you find so fascinating?--

Da'an replied, --There is a person I have been communicating with during that time. I believe she would be a very good candidate for the Songcrafter school here on Earth.--

--Oh? Who is it?-- the voice that had mentioned the school earlier in the month remarked, --Who is it?--

--Her name is Phenora Langley. She has the abilities normally associated with the caste.--

--She can hear starsong? What about other songs of nature?-- one of the Songcrafter Taelons asked.

--Yes. In fact, she also has the ability to commune with nature,-- Da'an replied, then told them many of the things that he knew about her. Even as he spoke, he could hear subtle laughter from Mit'gai.

--We will need to start testing her immediately,-- the Songcrafter from before said.

--Yes, but we must be very careful. This young woman has been poorly treated by her own kind, and takes refuge in a forest on the outskirts of the town,-- Mit'gai cautioned, --The best course of action would be to gradually acclimate her to living in civilization while this testing is going on.--

--Agreed. Da'an, she trusts you the most. As such, when she is not undergoing testing, Miss Langley will be with you.--

--What about the work in Silent Falls?--

--The meltdown itself has been cleared, however the people will need medical treatment, and we must examine the extent of the damage to the surrounding environment and assist in rebuilding, if possible. I do believe that the teams can spare you for a few days. After then, she may accompany you,-- Quo'on replied.

--If I may suggest,-- the Songcrafter said, --While she assists Da'an with Silent Falls, we can use the opportunity to run some of the tests and see if she is indeed qualified to become a student.--

--That will work well. Da'an, you have your orders.--

--Understood.--

* * *

The next day, in the morning, Phenora was sitting near the waterfall, her flute laying in her lap. She was using the player that her friend had given to her, and she was listening to some of the music on it.

Whoa...of all recorded music I've heard, I never expected Taelon music to be like...this... she thought, I hear life in this, I hear history and emotions! What I hear...I feel in my being!

She started one of the pieces at the beginning, closed her eyes and began to sing. There were no words to her song, only the musical notes. She had heard words, in Da'an's language, but she didn't dare try saying, much less singing them yet.

I don't sing often, and I know plenty who sing better than me...but still...

The young woman lost track of the time as she sang what she heard on the player, letting the life she heard behind each song enter her voice. After one of the selections faded out, she took a breath and opened her eyes. She was startled by who she saw in front of her, sitting with legs drawn up to the body and arms wrapped around them.

“How long have you been sitting there?”

* * *

As soon as he had rested enough, he left his quarters and walked directly into the forest, making sure to greet the animals. By now, he heard the wind and the two birds from before greet him warmly.

Although they are my orders...to be honest, I want to spend this time with her.

Good morning to you as well, he replied, using his new flute to speak with, where is she?

The waterfall, the cardinal answered.

He nodded, gave his thanks, then walked quietly until he was close to his destination. That was when he heard singing. Although there were no words, he could hear the emotions inside the voice, and the song itself was familiar. Within a few steps, he could see the source.

Phenora was sitting on the rocks, just like before. Her eyes were closed and mouth open.

Da'an walked, then sat in front of her, huddled in on himself, then let his chin rest on his knees as he listened, a soft smile on his face.

As the song faded, she took a breath and opened her eyes.

“How long have you been sitting there?”

He merely replied,“Beautiful.”

“Huh?”

“Your voice.”

“It's not. Not really. I know of singers that sound way better than me.”

“I have not heard them. I have heard you. Again I say, your voice is beautiful.”

She turned red and muttered,“Flatterer.” After a moment, she asked,“What's going on? I figured you would be in Silent Falls.”

“I have been given a few days' respite,” he replied,“So I want to spend them exploring this place, and getting to know you better.”

Phenora laughed at this and smiled.“I'd love to, Da'an! I'm sure this place by now has fully welcomed you.”

“It has,” he replied with a smile and got up, then helped her to her feet.“Shall we get started? I want to talk to you about something later today.”

“What about? Is it about--”

“Later. I want to see more of this forest.”

She had to smile at that. He was definitely anxious.

“Okay then, let's start with...”

* * *

It took the good part of the morning to go from the waterfall to the north end of the forest. On the way, they stopped by the cave.

“This cave shows signs of being inhabited.”

“Of course...by me.”

“You?”

“In the winter, the hottest nights and during storms, I sleep in here. Otherwise, I sleep outside.”

“How are you able to eat?”

“There are berries and fruits on the bushes and trees. I try not to kill or eat the animals unless they're hurt beyond healing or they offer themselves.” She paused before asking,“Have you had breakfast yet? What do Taelons eat, anyway?”

“We don't. Not in the manner that matter-based species do, anyway.”

“Matter-based?”

“Yes. Taelons are energy-based, not matter-based.”

“Aww, that's a shame.”

“Why?”

“Means that when someone wants to ask you out to lunch or dinner, you wouldn't be able to.”

He paused, then said,“I had not thought of it that way before. Phenora...”

“What is it?”

“In a few days, I will need to return to Silent Falls. Would you like to help me with restoring the area?”

That surprised her.“What?! What could I possibly do?”

“You can find the areas that have been harmed by the meltdown that we may miss.”

She looked unsure.“There're two problems with that.”

“Explain.”

“For one, I'll wind up like everyone else that got hurt by that disaster.”

“No. There are things you would be able to wear to keep you healthy.”

“I see.” She still had a dubious expression on her face.

“Are you concerned about further attacks upon your person?”

She chuckled and merely said,“You've got to be a mind-reader.”

“Do not worry. I will protect you.”

There was a few moments before she said,“All right, then. I'll do it. I'll help.”

“Thank you.”

The day passed by both quickly and slowly. Once both were back at the waterfall, Phenora went and got some berries from the nearby trees. After eating, the two of them worked on Da'an's flute lessons until the sun was low in the sky. They saw clouds in the sky, and it was questionable as to if they would be able to hear the starsong if there were more.

“You sure catch on quickly. Hard to believe that a few days ago, you never used a flute before,” she commented as they walked towards the edge of the forest that was closest to the Taelons' rooms.

“There are some instruments from my planet that are somewhat similar to this. However, they are made of different materials, and the appearance is different as well.”

“What other kinds of instruments are on Taelon?”

“If and when you do get accepted as a student, you will learn what they are and how to use them.”

“What do you mean?”

“In my first year, I and the others had to learn how to play all of them. I say this so that you will know what to expect.”

“That language you use....does it have a name?”

“It used to not, but other humans have given a name....one that we have recently come to adopt as our own.”

“Oh? What's the name?”

“Eunoia.”

“Sounds pretty. What does it mean?”

“One translation is beautiful thinking.”

She laughed at that.

“I have two instruments from Taelon in my quarters.”

“Oh? Are you going to get one of them?”

“Yes. Come with me.”

She nodded, then a few moments later, she asked,“You sure the other Taelons won't mind me being around there? I noticed just about all humans that I've seen steer clear of there.”

“After our discussion last night, I told them about you. They will not chase you off.”

“Ok, good.”

At the edge of the forest, a pair of Taelons stood. They seemed to be there casually, but...

“I think the one on the left is Mit'gai, but I don't recognize the other one. Are they waiting for us or something?”

“I believe so,” was the reply,“Before we approach them, I must teach you something.”

“What is it?”

“A way of greeting.”

“Oh, you mean like humans wave at others, or salute if in the military.”

“That is a good example. Watch me closely.”

“Okay...”

Da'an then put his left hand near the middle of his chest, then extended his right hand, palm up.

“Try it.”

The first time she tried it, her left hand was a little too high, and Da'an said so, demonstrating again. The second time, she caught on, but decided to practice it five more times, just to be certain.

“As you would say, not bad.”

“Thanks.”

“You are welcome. Now, let us go.”

The human and diplomat then approached the two Taelons, then performed the greeting.

“You learn quickly,” the one on the right said as he gave her an appraising look,“Tell me, how many languages have you learned?”

“I take it you don't mean human languages.”

“You would be correct.”

“Well, I can speak to all the animals in the forest, and I also talk to the wind, the water and the stars. There's the oceansong I heard last night, too, for the first time--”

“What would be the hardest that you have learned?”

She grimaced and replied,“That's an easy question. Thunderstorms, because it mixes watersong, windsong and lightningsong. Next hardest would be firesong. It's pretty much like babbling chaos.”

“Interesting,” he murmured and was about to ask something else when she tilted her head, as though listening to something.

“Oh no...just my luck...”

“What is it?”

“I hear thunderstorm's language right now. One's coming, and it'll be here soon. It'll last all night. So much for seeing how well you can play starsong on your new flute, Da'an.”

“You could tell all that?” the unknown Taelon asked,“and what makes you think that he can play on a flute?”

“Yeah, I could. As to the other question, I've been teaching him how.”

“She has quite the potential, Da'an. You were right to mention her.”

“If I'm rude, sorry but...just who are you?”

Mit'gai blushed blue, and the other two sensed gentle laughter in their minds. “This is An'jil. He is a master Songcrafter and he will be one of the instructors at the school that our people are currently growing.”

“How should I address you? Teacher? Master An'jil?”

“My name will work for now, but if you are accepted and gain a Patron, you will call me Instructor An'jil.”

“Da'an,” Mit'gai said, “I have heard from the others that once the school is established and we gain enough students, I will be posted there as healer.”

“I see. My congratulations to you on your post.”

Before anything else could be said, they all heard the first rumbles of thunder.

“Oh no,” Phenora groaned, “I won't be able to get back to the cave in time.”

“You may stay in my quarters,” Da'an replied.

“You sure you'll have the room?”

“Yes.”

“Then I'll take you up that offer. Thanks.”

“We must go, and I must speak to the others about testing this girl,” An'jil said. The three Taelons repeated the gesture she had seen and used for greeting and quickly followed suit. She then followed Da'an towards the part of the complex that included his own quarters.

“Hey, if someone, like me, were to come to visit you in places like this, would it be proper to knock on the door?”

He looked at her and blinked slowly.

Is he puzzled? She thought, then explained, “I haven't been living in the forest so long that I forgot this: opening the door and coming into somewhere without knocking is rude.”

“Ah, I see. We do have sounds installed near our doors that work the same as what you would call a doorbell. Using that would suffice.”

“Good to know.”

She said nothing more, as she was looking at the building that surrounded her. It definitely didn't look like any kind she had ever seen, and it shimmered at times as they walked. It was also a very distinct shade of purple.

“Is it just me, or is this place alive?”

Da'an said nothing.

They paused in front of what looked like a door. The Taelon raised a hand and moved it in a certain gesture that seemed a bit like a sweeping arc. It opened immediately.

“I believe the term is: come in.”

She followed him inside and found that, for the most part, it was unlike anything she had ever seen. The walls were the same shade of purple, and there were several items in the room, including what looked like a very fancy, very funny looking chair that was over a large hole, as well as a large circle that seemed to be on its side, with three other circles in the middle of it. There were also a table and three less fancy chairs surrounding it. In another part of the room was something that almost looked like a blue candelabra, with white tips. This item was on a stand, and so was the item beside it, which was a large, silver and dark blue arc with multicolored panels of different sizes. This arc was on its side, and she started to wonder if it had fallen down. She started to walk towards these two items, curious in spite of herself.

“Da'an, what are these?”

“They are the Taelon instruments I mentioned before, the valuveula and the euthi'leuma.”

“Which one is which?” she asked.

He walked over to the one that looked like a candelabra, touched one of the white tips and said, “Valuveula,” then touched the arc and said, “euthi'leuma.”

“No offense, Da'an, but the first one looks like a candle holder, or like some kind of tubes. In fact, that's what I thought it was at first.”

“No offense taken.”

Before anything could be said, they heard a sharp crack of thunder and the heavy pelting of rain. She winced at the sound.

“I don't like storms,” she said quietly, “Neither do a lot of the animals. The thunder reminds them of guns too much.”

“Guns? Ah, a human weapon.”

“Yeah, at times people will come into the forest during hunting season. When that happens, I usually can get the hunted ones to go into hiding. Not all of them listen though, mostly the young that don't know any better.” She wanted to change the topic in a hurry, so she asked, “Da'an, you pretty much know what my name's supposed to mean, but...does yours have one?”

“Yes. The closest translation, I believe, would be 'dreaming'.”

She chuckled and replied, “I can definitely see that. It suits you well.” In one side of the room, directly opposite of the fancy chair, was something that looked a lot like a bed.

“I'll bet you're tired from the trip throughout the forest.”

“You are the one that appears to be fatigued.”

“A little, but these storms make me nervous, so I have trouble sleeping when one is going on.”

“I see,” he replied, “You should lie down over there.”

“Wait, if I do, where are you going to sleep? There aren't any other beds in here.”

He gave a small smile then gestured at the chair, saying, “That would be what you would call a bed for Taelons.”

She turned red at her apparent faux pas and lay down on the flat bed, turning towards her friend.

Wow, for a firm bed, it feels soft, like I'm being held by something.

Da'an walked over to the euthi'leuma and turned it on. Sets of lights rose from it into the air, each one being a different color. Each color blended into each other in spots, making it seem like a rainbow of sorts. Five golden lights shimmered to the floor in front of his feet.

What's he planning on?

He took a deep breath and began to touch each of the lights, moving in fluid motions. As he did, music began to play. To her mind, it sounded like this instrument could play a lot of instruments.

Sounds like an orchestra, she thought as she simply listened, but at the same time, it sounds like nature...and this has lots of life to it. Sounds more like a peaceful, cool night at the waterfall...I can't even hear the storm outside...

As he continued to play, using the fluid, sweeping motions at and across each field of light, he saw that she was listening intently, and within a few minutes, she was asleep.

He shut the instrument off, walked over to the chair and stared at her for a few moments. He saw no reason to tell her that what he had played on the instrument was, in all truth, a Taelon lullaby.

No need to tell her that while we were in the forest today, that bed was put in by my brethren. She most likely will figure it out for herself. At least I was able to get her to go to sleep, regardless of the storm outside.

After that thought, he moved his own chair into position and activated the energy shower.

* * *

The next day, Phenora had thought about asking Da'an more about the Taelons and the Songcrafter school. However, as soon as she was awake, An'jil, Mit'gai and two others were at the door to Da'an's quarters.

“While you are here, we may as well see about some of the tests,” the master Songcrafter explained, “To see just how capable you are.”

“Okay,” she replied, “But I better get something to eat first, like some berries or grass.”

“Why not what other humans eat, such as meat?” Mit'gai asked.

“For obvious reasons, I'm a vegetarian.”

Da'an nodded, but the healer blinked, and puzzlement was sensed.

“Perhaps you should explain to him,” the diplomat suggested.

“To me, it'd be like murdering my neighbors. Only times I've eaten meat is if the animal or fish has been too badly hurt or they offer themselves of their own accord.”

“That is understandable. However, the first set of tests are physiological examinations, and they require that you not eat beforehand.”

“That's sensible,” she grumbled, “So much for breakfast. Maybe lunch?”

“You should be done by then.”

“I must tend to some things in the meantime,” Da'an said.

“You're not coming along, Da'an?”

“I cannot. I will be here after the examinations are completed, however.”

“Okay, then.” She then whispered something to the diplomat, who blushed blue, then nodded.

As Phenora walked with the other Taelons, Mit'gai asked, “What did you say to him?”

“Why?”

“As you may or may not have guessed, we Taelons can sense each other's emotions. His reaction was...interesting.”

“What do you mean?”

“If he were a human, his face would be red.”

She couldn't help but laugh at that. Once she calmed down, she said, “Just something about names.”

“I see.”

* * *

After she left, Da'an quickly went into the town, intent on speaking to a pair of humans. The face that his friend lived on nothing but grass, fruits, berries and meat on a very rare occasion disturbed him. It explained why she seemed, by human standards, a little thin.

As he traveled on foot, his mind went back to what Phenora had whispered: “I'll give you a flute lesson when I'm done. See you later...dreaming.”

I should ask her not to say that around others. As it was, I am grateful she only whispered my name's meaning. It was...a bit embarrassing.

He arrived at the local restaurant quickly. To his surprise, both of the humans he wanted to talk to were inside: the owner and Dennis. As the Taelon pushed open the door (he still needed to get used to doing that), a bell chimed.

“Hi, Da'an,” Dennis said, smiling broadly, “Fancy seeing you here.”

“It is fortuitous that you are both in the same location. I needed to speak to you both.”

“Oh? What's up?”

“There is...a young human that is now helping us with the restoration project. I came here to see if arrangements could be made to deliver proper sustenance for her.”

“A new one, huh? How come she doesn't come in herself?”

“For reasons that I would not care to discuss at this time.”

“Hmm...where is she?”

“Currently, she is at the edge of the forest.”

The human behind the counter suddenly had a dark expression on his face. “Are you talking about the wild freak?”

Da'an's eyes widened as he quickly stared the man down with what would later be known as “the Look”.

“Do not say that in front of me again. Her name is Phenora. I suggest you use it.”

“Why would I want to help feed that fr... her of all people?”

“She is capable of finding sources of contamination that we ourselves may miss,” Da'an replied, “There is another reason.”

“And why is that?”

“If all goes as I think they will, when the project is completed, we will be taking her with us.”

“You'd better listen, Trevor,” Dennis said, “You haven't been able to go hunting in two years. Help the Taelons with this, and you'll probably be able to get some game this year.”

Trevor sighed angrily, then said, “What all are you wanting for the freak?”

As Da'an gave The Look again, Dennis cleared his throat and glared.

“Okay, okay! Question still stands.”

“She is what you call a vegetarian.”

“Salads, soy products and such. Gotcha. Anything else?”

“Yes. Have them delivered to our domicile. Ask for either myself or Mit'gai.”

“I guess you'll want some for her to-go before you leave?”

“Yes. I will let you know when to start preparing them.”

“Fine. Sooner she's outta here, better off we'll be...” Trevor grumbled and went through the door into the kitchens.

“Is everyone this hostile regarding Phenora?” Da'an asked Dennis.

“I dunno about everyone, but most are, yeah. Humans hate and fear the unknown, and she definitely counts.”

“An interesting perspective, one that we will need to keep in mind. How about you?”

“Well, I don't hate her, per se. Sure, I don't get her a lot of times. I mean, she's probably like this because she went crazy.”

“She is most certainly not 'crazy'. She has abilities that our people recognize and honor.”

“If you say so. Hey, when you do take her away from here, what'll happen?”

“She will be cared for and well trained in her gifts.”

“Good. Least Mike and Eve will rest easy in their graves, knowing that.”

* * *

Mit'gai went over the results of the first few scans he had run on the young woman. He had been surprised by the readings, but not as much as he would have been a few days before.

“Her ears and mind interpret the languages of nature as songs,” he explained to An'jil.

“That explains the way she answered my questions.”

“Yes. Although crude in fashion, her capabilities are more advanced than most, but not as much as a few other candidates we examined. This is most likely because of her residence in the nearby forest and other such domiciles.”

“So it is possible she may have an easier time learning our language as well.”

“Yes, it is possible.”

“Excellent. The students from other worlds will need to be able to learn it if they are to become full Songcrafters. As you know, that in itself is no small task.”

Mit'gai gave a small nod in agreement. “My only concern will be finding her a Patron. There are some Taelons that will not choose one at all.”

“You're talking about T'than.”

“No. Ones like Zo'or.”

There was a mutual blushing at the mention of that name, as well as the feeling of disgust.

“There are a few that would take her on. We will just have to see,” An'jil continued, “The rest of the tests need to be done soon. Patron's Interval will not be long in coming. We will have candidates from all parts of the planet.”

In the other room, Phenora, wearing a type of clothing similar to a hospital gown, sat on the edge of one of the examining beds, kicking her feet. She called into the other room, “Are you doing to be doing any blood work?”

“Yes,” Mit'gai replied, “I'll start those right now.”

She winced at this and grumbled, “How come you have blood work instruments? I thought Taelons didn't have blood.”

Mit'gai and An'jil came out. The former replied, “We do not, as we are beings of energy.”

“Yeah, Da'an mentioned that.”

“Hold still,” the healer ordered and picked up something that looked a little like a silver gun and fitted a medium sized, clear tube on one end before pressing it against her left forearm.

“Ow!” she said as she felt the small needle go in and watched as her blood filled the tube. He removed it and fitted a second one, which also filled. He then quickly removed the instrument and ran what looked like what she called the knitter, the item the healer had used on her injuries the other night, over the area.

“Talk about short and sweet,” she said, a little surprised, “Hurt less than I thought it would.”

Neither Taelon replied to the comment. The healer then asked, “I take it there are no humans to report examination findings to?”

“That's right.”

“Very well, then,” he continued, “An'jil can escort you back to Da'an's quarters. Tell him to see me in two hours.”

“I'll let him know,” she answered, “I hope that the animals in the forest don't get too worried about me. I haven't been there since yesterday evening.”

“If you want, either Da'an or I can explain. We both have the same gifts you do,” An'jil replied.

“Yeah, that'll be great. Um, could you two please get back into the other room and turn your backs?”

“Of course,” Mit'gai replied. From his tone, she could tell that he he still found it a little strange that humans were modest in most senses of the word. He motioned for the instructor to come with him. Once both were in the other room and not looking, the young woman quickly changed back into her clothes.

“Okay, changed,” she called out.

An'jil came back out, then flashed blue for a moment before speaking.

“Da'an has returned. He will be in his quarters by the time we arrive.”

She nodded, but said nothing as she followed the Songcrafter through the corridors.

“Are you unwell?”

“Why do you ask?”

“Da'an has said that you are more...talkative.”

“When I have a lot on my mind, I tend to be quiet. I'm just wondering what'll happen to me if I don't have what it takes, or if no Patron selects me.”

“Most likely, you will resume living as you always have been.”

“I see.” She was quiet for another minute, then asked, “An'jil, you've done the full four years. Can you tell me what it was like?”

“Why?”

“I know it'll be tough and competitive, but other than that, I really don't know that much.”

He stopped moving for a moment, then turned to her. “The first year is mostly learning as many instruments as possible. In your case, every instrument that exists on your planet.”

All of them? You do know there are lots out there.”

“Of course. There will be some differences from the normal Taelon curriculum. One of them is that each student will also be learning our language.”

“Eunoia?”

“Yes. Another difference is that there will be three meal periods. First and second year students will be residing at the school in San Francisco, while third and fourth year students live with their Patrons and commute to a different school.”

“I see. Seems that the more I learn, the more questions I have. No recess or break, I take it?”

“Yes, there will be. We will also be growing a recreation room, with human and Taelon games inside.”

“Taelons play games?”

Now he sounded bemused. “Yes. There are games such as Kallion and Foovlasha.” The tone become more serous as he added, “Be grateful that the more...serious forms of the latter will be forbidden at the school.”

“Sounds like something I should ask Da'an about.”

“Yes, for your own sake.”

“Why not ask you?”

The Songcrafter did not reply.

Soon they reached a set of doors. Phenora stopped when An'jil did.

“Let's see how observant you are,” he said, “Find the chime.”

She nodded, then closed her eyes, thinking back carefully to when she had entered the infirmary. She opened her eyes, looked at the panel, then touched the mark on the far left. Three notes were emitted, sounding just like a wind chime.

“Very good.”

“Thanks. If and when I go to the school, am I going to need to know the gestures you use to open doors?”

Before An'jil could answer, they heard a familiar voice speak, but it wasn't in English.

“What did he say?” she asked.

“It translates to 'enter',” was the reply before the Taelon took a step forward. The doors opened and the young girl quickly walked in behind him.

Sure enough, Da'an was inside, standing near the large, fancy chair. An'jil raised his hands in the Taelon greeting and she followed suit.

“No need for that with me,” the diplomat said to both of them.

“Da'an, she will need the practice.”

“Yes, that may be the case, but not with me. On this, I must insist.”

“Very well.”

“Oh, Da'an. Mit'gai said he wants to see you in two hours,” Phenora said.

Her friend nodded, then said, “There are some things for you at the table.”

She looked in the direction he indicated. Her eyes went wide with surprise.

On the table was a bowl of fresh salad, a container full of what looked like tofu and a glass of milk.

“Umm, well...vegetarians don't--”

“I have been assured it is a type that is acceptable. I believe the human who prepared it called it soy milk.”

Now she smiled. “This is really sweet of you, Da'an. Thanks.”

“You are welcome.”

An'jil motioned to Da'an and said, --One of us, either you or I, should inform the animals in the forest about her current whereabouts and activities. She seems convinced that they would be worried.--

--She would be right. Come with me, and we will tell them now.--

“Phenora, we will be back in a few minutes,” Da'an said and picked up his flute, “We should let them know so that they do not worry.”

“Thanks,” she replied, sounding very grateful, and sat in one of the chairs and picked up the fork, fully intending on digging in.

* * *

Da'an and An'jil stood outside of the set of buildings that housed quarters for the Taelons, just at the edge of the forest. The former held the flute gently in his hands.

“Do not go any further than here.”

“Why not? This is just a forest, Da'an.”

“She and the animals live within it. It would be...disrespectful. Besides, while it does welcome me, I am not sure that you would be regarded in the same manner.” With that, the diplomat raised the flute to his lips and began to play on it.

An'jil watched and listened closely. Although it seemed a little bit like a foreign dialect, he could hear the words: Good afternoon, gentle forest. Good afternoon, west wind.

The wind blew, swirling about Da'an. The words were very clear: Good afternoon, Friend Da'an. Is the two-legs girl well?

“Amazing,” the Songcrafter whispered.

She is well indeed. She did not want to be out in the storm last night, so I sheltered her. She is undergoing tests to see how strong her ability is. Da'an felt the master Songcrafter's curiosity and irritation and added, This is An'jil, a master Songcrafter. His ability is much more developed than either mine or Phenora's.

The wind swirled around both Taelons now, and the words changed. Welcome, An'jil.

“Thank you for your greeting. I am sorry I have no instrument on hand to reply with.”

That is all right, the wind replied.

Da'an continued, Phenora will slowly be undergoing transition during this time.

I know, the wind answered, although this place has welcomed her, she still belongs amongst the two-legged ones. She will have a better life with Taelons than she will with humans. Take good care of her, Da'an.

The reply, by way of the flute reflected his reaction, soft but firm: I will. The notes changed back in tone as he continued, I must make sure that she and I rest, for I intend on spending the night with her within the forest...with your blessing, of course.

You have it. Until later, Friend Da'an. Take care, Taelon An'jil.

The wind then stopped swirling around them and blew on its normal pattern.

An'jil looked at the diplomat and said, “A shame that your Patron passed to the next level during Second Interim, Da'an. You would have surpassed even me.”

“That was not to be my lot in life. I am grateful for the path it did take, actually.”

“Oh?”

“If I had become a full Songcrafter, I would not have come to Earth like this, nor met Phenora.”

“Very true.”

The two Taelons returned inside the complex, then parted ways. Da'an would make sure that the young woman had eaten, then would be meeting with Mit'gai. After then, the human and Taelon would both be resting in their own ways. The prospect of being in the forest at night with her was, to be honest, an exciting one.

 

End of chapter 3

 

Zurück / Back

 

Zum Seitenanfang