Startseite Aktuelles Update Geschichten Kategorien Bilder Forum - Der Baum Links Hilfe Kontakt
  „Meeting in Moonlight” by Deona Lindholm,   October 2011
Disclaimer:  Earth: Final Conflict belongs to Tribune Entertainment Co., Lost Script Prod. Inc., Atlantis Films and VOX. Please don't publish this story without permission of the author.
 
Summary:  Mere days after arriving on Earth, an unexpected meeting between a human and a Taelon begins a much larger story.
Setting:  Aftermath of Silent Falls meltdown
Characters:  Da'an, Mit'gai, Phenora, An'jil
Author's Note: This is the first story in the Songcrafter series.
A.N.: Okay, before I begin, I'll put in a key of which type of font means what in the Songcrafter series.
Text = Thought/Naturesong
Text = Naturesong on instruments
--Text-- = Commonality
Text = Eunoia
 

 

MEETING IN MOONLIGHT

Chapter 1: Only By Chance

 

Deep in the distant past, back when the people of our world Earth were at a crossroads in evolution and history, there have been stories of the first contact between Earth's humans and a race of energy beings, known as Taelons. In the years to come, there were many trials and tribulations, facts and myth involving this time of great change. There are tales of conspiracy on both sides, manipulation, deceit...as well as those of friendship and love. We may never know just how much of these tales are truth, but little by little, we are finding out more about that turbulent time.

Recently, several sets of writings, recordings and videos have been uncovered, the majority of which were in time capsules. From these, scientists, historians and the universal life-singers, who went by another name back then, are learning more facts about some of the more popular beings from that time: Johnathan Doors, Augur, J Street, William Boone, Liam Kincaid, Zo'or, Lili Marquette, Sandoval the Betrayer, Renee Palmer, as well as two people whose names are equally synonymous with that time: Da'an and Phenora Langley...


In one of the towns of Indiana, glimpses by the people of a being unlike any other, yet familiar to all, lead to speculation and gossip. Within hours, word had spread to the humans in the entire area like wildfire.

What the humans did not realize was that they were not the only ones to know.

* * *

Just outside of the town, the Taelons were almost done with growing a set of buildings that would serve as accommodations while they were in this area. The task this time was to restore one of the towns nearby, a place called Silent Falls, which had become unable to support life due to what the humans called a meltdown. Half of the residents had died instantly, and the others saw themselves as doomed. Because relations between the two races were so fragile at this point, the Taelons had decided against growing rooms beside what were called, on this planet, hotels.

One of the latter species, Da'an, was looking around him. This was the first time he had seen a forest quite like the one that was a short distance away, and he thought that he could hear, in the faint distance, a waterfall flowing.

It is sad that some races do not notice the beauty around them until they have destroyed it. Perhaps we will be able to prevent that from happening here.

Da'an saw movement out of the corner of one eye and turned to his left quickly. On a low-lying branch was a red bird that he would later know to be a cardinal, and right beside it was a blue bird. Both were chirping and looking in his direction.

No, he realized after he moved about and saw that the two birds were watching, they are looking directly at me.

As he started to approach, they flew off the branch and up and around him in a spiral before going into the forest.

Most unexpected. Just how intelligent are the animals here?

* * *

The cardinal and the blue jay flew into the thick trees and listened closely for sounds of music, the kind that came from the metal tube that came from the forest's only two-legs.

The blue jay chirped, which got it a reply from the cardinal just before they flew towards the place where water fell freely and loudly. On the way, the wind blew, carrying news of its own and quickening the flight of the two birds.

Surely enough, they saw the only two-legs, sitting some distance from the water, with a large rock against the back, making sounds by blowing into the long, metal tube.

The cardinal chirped, Two-legged one, come. Something new is here.

* * *

Near the waterfall sat a young woman. She sat in the grass, against one of the larger rocks, using a long, silver flute to play the music she was hearing from the falling water. In the sunlight, her wavy, auburn hair that held hints of banana curls in it glittered as though it were wet. She had not felt like ruining her better clothes, so she was wearing a green jumpsuit that was almost threadbare and no shoes or socks.

She heard the rustling of nearby trees and saw a cardinal and a blue jay, almost side by side flying towards her, with the wind on their wings. The birds landed, one at her feet and the other on her knee and began chirping.

Two-legged one, come. Something new is here.

She raised an eyebrow and carefully used the flute to reply. She had learned that it was far better to speak to beings of nature using their own songs than it was to use her old, discordant language.

What is going on?

Many two-legs have come at the edge of our home.

The girl made a face and replied, Humans don't care about me or any of us, why should I care about them? As long as they don't come in here--

These are two-legs we have never seen before.

Before the girl could answer, the wind blew, swirling about her. It said, These two-legs are not humans. They come from high above, beyond the skies.

Her eyes widened and changed tone and notes as she asked, High above, beyond the skies? Are you saying they're from--

We think so, the cardinal replied.

She got up, making the two birds fly out of the way. As she brushed the grass off of her clothes, she said, Lead the way. This, I need to see.

* * *

The two birds flew ahead, but not too far ahead so that the two-legged friend could keep up. She had learned how to walk quietly so that no other two-legs could see her if she wanted, which is what she was doing at the moment. Within minutes, they arrived at the edge of the forest, where the strange beings were.

The cardinal flew to a tree and tweeted, Look from here. The girl nodded and stepped lightly as she peeked out from behind a tree.

These aren't human buildings! They look like they were grown, she whistled in birdsong, they might be from beyond.

Look, there's one of them now, to your left, the blue jay said, catching her attention.

Her eyes widened as she saw, just as the bird and wind had said, someone that looked human, but wore a purple body suit. She couldn't tell at all if it was a man or a woman, since it had no hair or anything else that she would use to be able to tell the difference. The skin was the purest shade of white she had ever seen in her life. When it turned, she saw a pair of the bluest eyes she had ever seen, and it made her gasp.

The strange two-legs turned at the sound, and she backed up slightly, making as few sounds as possible before hurrying back into the forest.

The two birds chirped, then flew back to the waterfall, where she was at again.

That was close, they said.

Yeah, she replied, once again using her flute, That being we saw, it really is from beyond.

Aren't you interested in talking to it? Imagine, a two-legs from the sky!

Why would I be, little blue jay? I'll just be hit at with stones and sticks and called bad names, like Freaky-Phennie. The only humans that didn't were my parents. Even my music teacher thought I was strange.

That was before you came to live here, the cardinal replied, I get the feeling that the sky-legs wouldn't do those things.

She sighed, then said, using the flute, Say that I might...how would I be able to talk to it? I don't know it can hear your songs, like I do, and I don't know if it can speak in my old language.

The wind replied, Go back at night, when the moon is up. I will guide you back.

The girl nodded and walked back into the direction of one of the caves, where she kept her clothes and slept w en storms came.

The birds and the wind spoke among themselves.

Why are you having her go back? The blue jay asked, she is the only two-legs here to speak and live as one of us.

The wind replied, Yes, but she is not one of you. She can't live in this forest forever, and we can't trust the humans with her. These beings from the sky may be just the ones to give her a better life.

I hope you're right, West Wind... the birds chirped, then flew away.

* * *

For the rest of the day, the human girl was getting her dinner and picking out which of the few clothes she had she would be wearing.

Why should I go back there? Sure, I'm curious about the one from the sky, but I also know how the people in my hometown, and even here, treated me. For all I know, this one will be no different. Why are the birds and the wind so sure that this will be different?

By the time that she heard the song of the setting sun, she found herself edging more towards going to the edge of the forest, where the sky-legs were at. When the colors of the sun were completely gone and she saw the light of the moon, she stepped out of the cave, dressed in clothes that weren't as ripped by bushes or rocks, her flute in hand.

Time to go. You had best be right, my friends.

* * *

Da'an watched as the sun set, taking in the colors that the sky changed and listening to the song that humans were not able to hear. It only served to remind him of the differences between their species.

I should not judge them too harshly, he thought, not all Taelons can hear them either when on a planet's surface. Most of those who can have become Songcrafters.

Once the sun had completely gone down, he was able to hear, faintly at first, the familiar sounds of starsong. As time passed, he heard it more and more clearly, even as the wind blew in gusts that seemed unusual.

I should see about resting soon, he thought and turned to go inside of his own quarters when he heard, in the still night, musical notes, coming from what sounded like a reed instrument. It took him a moment to realize something that was, to him, very startling.

These are the very same notes I just heard!

He closed his eyes and listened carefully, trying to find the source. He opened them again and walked lowly and carefully, doing his best to make sure there was no sounds from his footsteps.

Just a short ways into the forest was a small clearing with a large stone. On top of that stone was a young human woman, wearing a blue blouse and a green skirt and bare feet. In her hands was a long, silver tube that she was blowing into and moving her fingers about. The wind suddenly picked up, flapping her red hair about.

Da'an looked on, feeling surprise. This was the same person that he had glimpsed earlier in the day, standing just on the edge of the woods, but wearing a different outfit. He had thought at first that it was one of those ghosts that humans had mentioned before, in the town.

She doesn't seem like such a thing to me, at least not yet. But...what do I say to her?

As soon as the wind had died down, the music stopped and she looked up at him with surprised eyes, lowering the metal tube.

She looked at him and started to scamper away. Quickly, but gently, he said, “Don't.”

That made her be still, but her expression was cautious.

“I will not harm you.”

She blinked and spoke. It sounded almost as though she had not spoken in some time as she asked, “English...?”

“Yes, I am able to speak your language.”

She took a breath and asked, “You promise?”

“Yes, I swear it.”

The girl nodded and sat back down again, although she left space on the stone and patted the space in front of it. He took the hint and sat down, legs underneath him.

He asked, “What is your name?”

She paused for a moment, then replied, “Phenora. It's Phenora Langley. What about you?”

“My name is Da'an.”

Phenora looked both amused and puzzled for a moment before replying, “That's short. No last name?”

“No. Not all species have more than one part to their ames.” He paused and asked, “That music...”

“What about it?”

“Why were you playing it just now? Who did you hear it from?”

“None of the two-legs.”

“Two-legs?”

She winced and replied, “That's what the birds and the animals here call humans. I live in this forest.” To him, it seemed that the more she spoke, the more used she became to doing so. After a pause, she continued, “What I was playing when you found me came from the stars. I hear the songs of things like birds, animals, wind and even the stars, and I understand what they say.”

Da'an blinked slowly, then asked, “Please ask them where I come from, then.”

She arched an eyebrow, but nodded and put the metal tube to her lips and began playing again for a few moments. Surprisingly enough, he heard the starsong change its low-playing music as though answering. The exchange continued for a minute. Then Phenora lowered the tube again.

“They say you really do come from beyond the skies, in a distant galaxy. I also asked what the name of your world is, and they said 'Taelon'.”

“Amazing,” Da'an commented, “I did not realize that humans had the gift.”

“Gift? At times it's a curse,” she replied, “The humans where I came from and here don't like me. I'm usually hit by stones, branches and called nasty little names, like Freaky-Phennie, or space-o or Alien.”

Da'an's eyes widened, and his facade faded for a moment, feeling shock. Once he regained control, he asked, “Is there no one that does not regard you so poorly?”

“Two people, up until about two years ago. They're dead,” she answered in a tone that was partly matter-of-fact and partly wistful.

“I see. I am sorry.” He paused for a moment then asked, “Are you always at this part of the forest at night?”

“Yes. It's a great spot to listen to the song of the stars and the moon. I know a good place to be during the day, too.”

He nodded slowly and asked, “That tube you use, what is it?”

“This? It's a flute. It was my mother's. She gave it to me when I was little.”

Da'an got up from the stone and turned back towards the way he came. “I need rest. As you would say, it has been a long day.”

“I believe it. Besides, I'll bet you're not the only one here, and they'll be worried.”

The Taelon shook his head. “They would not be concerned. I will explain another time.” He paused and added, “I look forward to coming back tomorrow night, if you do not mind, that is.”

“Of course I don't mind. Good night, Da'an.”

“Good night, Phenora.”

* * *

The following day, the Taelons and a couple of the humans, a man and a woman (both in protective Taelon gear), were headed for Silent Falls. Thanks to the ID technology, they had arrived almost instantaneously. As they made their way to the site of the meltdown, Da'an asked the man, “May I ask you a question?”

“Go ahead.”

“There is a young female that lives in the forest near our lodgings. Do you know of her?”

The woman replied with disgust, “Are you talking about that wild freak?”

The man glared and said, “Enough, Angela.” Once she was silent, he replied, “You mean Phenora Langley.”

“Yes. What do you know of her?”

The man sighed and asked, “Can we stop a minute? I don't want any outbursts from over there.” He looked pointedly at Angela.

“Of course,” Da'an replied and allowed the man to lead him out of hearing range. Once they were sure that they would not be overheard, the Taelon repeated his question.

“I knew her parents, Mike and Eve Langley. They were originally going to name her Nora Meryl. That changed the day she was born.”

“What happened?”

“Breach birth.”

“I do not understand.”

“Basically, instead of coming out head first, it was feet first. Both Eve and the kid barely managed to survive. I don't know if they went crazy or if it was some kinda divine influence, but Mike and Eve said that the experience was like rebirth, so they combined the words 'Phoenix' and 'Nora' together.”

“I see. That is why she is named Phenora. Why do people dislike her?”

“Dislike? Most outright hate her. Ever since she was little, she'd be playing all sorts of wild music, laughing, talking to trees, that sort of thing. In little kids, that's normal, but even when she was supposed to stop that stuff and grow up, she kept doing it anyway. She'd even talk about conversations with the wind. Nobody knows if she's got some kind of Autism, if she went crazy or what.” He sighed. “Her parents died in the SI war, about 2 years ago.”

“That is unfortunate.”

“No kidding. She's from Silent Falls, by the way. When Mike and Eve died, she didn't have any family left, and of course nobody would take her in. I wonder if she knew it when she started living in that forest.”

Da'an had no answer to that.

* * *

Phenora busied herself through the day, doing things like swimming, playing on the flute at the waterfall, as well as reading one of the few books she had taken with her when she first had left her home in Silent Falls.

That was when my parents died, and I realized that there would be no human that would be looking after me, she remembered, and that I had to fend for myself, live where I was most at home.

More than once, though, her thoughts turned towards the alien being she had met the previous night.

Da'an looked human, but sure didn't act like one. I hope he comes again.

When the sun became low in the sky, she went to the spot she had been the night before, where she had met the Taelon.

Come to think of it, I don't know if Da'an is a he or a she. Using 'it' is a bad idea, 'cause I know how it feels like to be treated as a thing. I'm going to have to ask...argh! This is going to drive me crazy!

“Not a good place to see a sunset,” she muttered out loud, “if Da'an wants a good place to see one, I'll think real hard on that.” She sighed and used her flute to ask the question. Within moments, she had an answer.

A few moments later, she heard someone familiar say, “Not a good place to see a sunset.”

She looked about and saw, a short distance away, Da'an approaching. She patted the spot where the Taelon had been the previous night and asked, bemused, “Are you a mind-reader?”

“Why do you ask?”

“I made the same comment a few minutes ago. It's not night yet.”

“I was able to complete the day's business earlier than expected.” He paused and then said, “I asked about you.”

She winced at that. “I bet you think I'm a freak now, huh?” she asked, half afraid of the answer.

“On the contrary, I find you to be very fascinating.”

“I think I'll take that as a compliment.”

“It is.”

She chuckled, then said, “Come to think of it....Da'an, I don't know how to think of you.”

“Please explain.”

She took a breath, then asked, “Are you a guy or a girl?”

Da'an was silent but looked puzzled.

“Are you male or female?” she asked, trying to ask in different words.

“Ah. Taelons are androgynous.”

“What's that mean?”

“We have no genders, so to speak.”

“You know, if I were to talk about you to the animals or the wind, I'll have a hard time referring to you. I can't call you an 'it', that would be too cruel.”

“Why?”

“I know all too well what it's like to be treated as a thing, like some kind of sub-species,” she answered with a slight tone of anger.

“You may have a point,” was the answer. After a couple of minutes of silence, the Taelon said, “He.”

“Huh?”

“You can use the word 'he'. For ease of reference, you understand.”

“Oh, I see. Yeah that would be easier.” She sighed and asked, “Da'an, how many Taelons can hear and understand the songs, like I can?”

“Most of us can hear starsong, although only from outer space. There is a caste, though, that is filled with beings that have abilities similar to yours.”

“Really? What're they called?”

Da'an replied by speaking in something that sounded foreign that had touches of hisses and whispers. She blinked, puzzled.

“What language is that?”

“The native tongue of my species.”

“Oh, I see.”

“The name of the caste I mentioned would be translated as 'Songcrafter'.”

“Songcrafter? Musicians?”

“Not quite. Let me ask you something, Phenora.”

“What is it?”

“Do you ever listen to the music made by your people?”

She grimaced. “I don't like it. A lot of it sounds hollow, empty. I'd almost say it sounds dead, but I'd be laughed at.”

“I am not laughing.”

“Not yet. What's that got to do with Songcrafters?”

Da'an blinked slowly, then replied, “Songcrafters are capable of hearing the songs of living things, and they can either relay them into a tangible form...or craft songs that are filled with life, ones that tell not only history, but the original emotions contained within them.”

She took a breath and then said, “Songs filled with life, instead hollow, dead ones. That sounds wonderful. Makes me wish I had been born a Taelon, instead of a human.”

“Why?”

“Why not? On your world, this is a gift, one that is welcome. Here? It's a curse, and I'm a--”

“As I said before, you are no freak, not to me.”

That surprised her.

Da'an continued, “Besides, if you had been born a Taelon, we most likely would not have met.”

“I guess so.”

“Which songs of nature have you heard in your life?”

“A better question would be: which ones have I not heard?” After a pause, she continued, “I haven't heard that of the Savannah in Africa, the desert...but the second one I'm sure would be as dead as most human songs. One I would really like to hear, though, is from the ocean.”

“I see.”

“Da'an, this may be a bad place to see a sunset, but if you're going to be early tomorrow, maybe I'll be able to find a better one.”

“It would be appreciated.”

After a pause, she asked, “Hey, Da'an, are you one of those Songcrafters?”

“No. I am a diplomat.”

“But you've got the same thing I do. How come?”

Da'an thought over the question, then after a time, he answered, “I was a student at one time. I had completed my second year and was about to begin the third when I was expelled.”

“Expelled? Did you do something wrong?”

“No. You see, each Songcrafter, whether student or full-fledged, has what you might call a Patron. Without one, a hopeful cannot even become a student, and if the Patron ascends to the next level before the student begins the third year...”

“They're kicked out.”

“Yes.” Da'an's facade dropped for a couple of moments. Phenora's eyes widened in surprise, but not fear.

“What was that?”

“It is how we normally express what emotions we do have. I am pleasantly surprised.”

“How so?”

“I do not often speak so freely with other species.”
“Maybe it's because we might be a lot alike?”

“That remains to be seen.”

“Yeah, we only just met yesterday, after all. Da'an, how long are you going to be here?”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean, how long are you going to be in this area?”

“My work here is to help with restoring Silent Falls. It may take a month before my role in this is done.”

“As you probably found out, I'm from there.” She sighed and said, “I wish my name was different.”

“Why?”

“Because my folks thought they were being cute or something when they named me Phenora. It just adds to the hatred from the humans.”

“According to one person, your name is a combination of 'Phoenix' and 'Nora'.”

“I'll bet I know who said it, too. Dennis, from the local motel, huh?”

“So that is his name. I neglected to find out earlier.”

She was about to say something when they both heard the sounds coming from the song of the setting sun.

“It's a little grander this time,” she remarked, “Wonder if it's because you're here?”

“I would not know.”

Both were silent as they listened to music that only they could hear as the sun set and the stars came out.

“There's supposed to be a lot of shooting stars tomorrow,” Phenora asked, “Seen one of them from here yet?”

“No, I have not.”

“I know a good spot where you can see them from. Come to think of it, it's probably a good spot for sunsets, too. It's a little ways out of the forest, though, so I don't go there often.”

“Interesting. I will make certain that I will be here in time for it.”

“Sounds like a plan.”

* * *

Later, as Da'an headed back towards his room, a sudden, steady wind blew around him. His head rose as he listened carefully.

“You'll excuse me if I don't have an instrument on hand to reply.”

The wind blew again, this time gentle, yet urgent.

“Wha is it you wish of me?”

Some of the blades of grass rippled in the wind.

“I do not know if it is possible, but I will try.”

The wind blew gently once more, then died down to a breeze. The Taelon hurried back into his quarters, to get rest.

 

End of chapter 1

 

Zurück / Back

 

Zum Seitenanfang