Startseite Aktuelles Update Geschichten Kategorien Bilder Forum - Der Baum Links Hilfe Kontakt
  „London Ladies” by Deona Lindholm,   April 2012
Disclaimer:  Earth: Final Conflict belongs to Tribune Entertainment Co., Lost Script Prod. Inc., Atlantis Films and VOX. Please don't publish this story without permission of the author.
 
Summary:  During the events of “Meeting in Moonlight”, four young girls in London undergo testing as Songcrafter candidates.
Setting:  Aftermath of Silent Falls meltdown
Characters:  Elizabeth and Catherine Marks, Anna Newkirk, Abigail Kingsfield, An'or, Quo'on
 

 

LONDON LADIES

Chapter 3: Abigail

 


The old-style alarm clock went off, hammer banging against the metal bells. The noise broke the silence of the early dawn and signaled the end of sleep.

There was a low groan and without another sound, Abigail pushed aside the cozy covers and sat up in the bed, rubbing her tired, green eyes and pushing her red hair out of her face.

Why am I up so early...? she thought, half asleep, Did I set the clock at the wrong time again?

She then looked at the calendar and fixed her gaze on the current date. In elegant cursive handwriting were the words: Songcrafter testing, auditorium, 7:00.

Oh! That's today! She realized and quickly stood up, then went looking for the clothes that her mother had set out the previous night.

My favorite outfit...a green, velvet dress and matching shoes. They always help me relax when I have to do something nerve-wracking...other than dealing with Catherine and Elizabeth, she thought as she picked up the items and started getting dressed.

A few moments later, a maid came in and said, “Top of the morning, miss Abigail. I see you're already up.”

“Yes, the note on the calendar helped. Thank you, Wendy.”

“You're welcome, miss. I know how forgetful you are first thing in the morning, and the missus would never forgive me if I let you forget to go to this testing.”

“Neither would my uncle.”

“The law professor, miss?”

“Yes. You know how he is about punctuality and studies.”

“Aye, I do. Let me help with your hair, miss. I know just the style to use today.”

“You know, if I do become a student, you'll have to let me style my own hair,” she replied, “The school won't be allowing maids to do it for us.”

“Yes, I know. Bloody shame, too. But while I still can, just let me handle it, okay?”

She sighed and nodded, then sat down in one of the chairs, in front of the vanity.

“From what I heard from Forbes, Catherine and Elizabeth Marks will be here to pick you up on the way to the auditorium for the testing.”

Ugh...those two. Why can't it be Anna Newkirk taking me? I get along much better with her than with them...and with her, I don't have to pretend.

“I see that look on your face,” Wendy said, “I know you don't like the Marks sisters, but if you start getting on badly with them, it'll go even worse with their family and ours. They are political allies, after all.”

“You don't need to remind me of that,” was all she said.

“And another thing, you really shouldn't be associating with Anna Newkirk. I know she's nicer to you than the sisters, but she's from the slums. It's not good for your image as the daughter of aristocracy to be chumming around with her.”

“Yes, but aren't I a human being first?”

“You are, yes, but there are some things that matter more than friendship.”

“You sound like mother lecturing me.”

“Better it come from me than her. If she found out you went to the slums to visit her and such, and in maid's clothing no less, she'll have your head!”

“And she would have you fired.”

“Aye...so for my sake at least, please at least try to act your station.”

Act my station... Abigail thought, then said nothing more until she arrived at the dining hall.

“Good morning, Abigail,” her mother spoke She was a stiff, prim dark-haired woman that was somewhat past her prime, wearing a dark, velvet dress with a cameo pin near her neck.

“Good morning, mother,” she replied.

“As soon as you finish eating, the Marks sister will be here. Be on your best behavior, as usual.”

“Yes, mother.”

“I don't have to tell you how important this testing is. After all, your lack of discretion in talking to the cats and other animals is what got you in this situation in the first place. People were talking about having you sent off to the looney bin when the Taelons found out about you.”

“Yes,” she merely replied.

“If you pass this testing, it will bring much honor and prestige to this household that has never been seen before. You may even become Quo'on's own Songcrafter, if you work hard and get accepted.”

“Aren't you getting ahead of yourself, mother? I have not even begun the testing.”

Her tone went severe and cold. “Abigail Kingsfield, you will not talk back to me. Ever. Is that understood?”

“Yes, mother.”

“Are you forgetting something?” she continued in the same tone.

“Forgetting something?”

“Lord, child...are you being trying on purpose, or have you forgotten that you just insulted me without even apologizing?”

She turned red and replied, “I'm sorry, mother. I meant no disrespect.”

“I should hope not.”

* * *

A few minutes later, Abigail had finished her meal, making sure to observe what her mother considered the proper customs, which included a chaste kiss on her mother's cheek, but never a hug.

She walked out into the main hallway, where the butler, Forbes, looked flustered.

“Is something the matter?” she asked.

“Miss Abigail, your...escort to the testing has arrived.”

“Oh, I see. They're probably being...themselves, of course. Well, I'll be going now,” she replied and quickly opened the door, stepped outside, and closed it, all before turning around to see who was there.

A familiar, yet unexpected voice greeted her ears. “Abou' bloody time, Abby! Your mum give ye an earful again?”

She turned around and found not Elizabeth and Catherine Marks, but someone else that she knew, wearing a brown outfit that had very few rips in the blouse and pants, as well as a brown cap.

“Anna! What are you doing here? If they see you...oh bloody hell, you're why Forbes was upset--”

“Now, calm yerself down, Abby, don' get yer stockin's in a bunch. I'm yer escort tae the testin'.”

“I thought the sisters were going--”

“Naw, I got this request from one o' th' Taelons, wishin' me tae bring ye instead of those Marks sisters. Nae tha' those two know it...yet!”

Abigail chuckled and asked, “Then let's get going, shall we? I'd rather you than those two any day.”

As the two walked from the Kingsfield residence, the aristocrat's daughter looked at the Cockney girl carefully. “Are those your best clothes?”

“Me Sunday bests, 'ey are.” She laughed and said, “Naw, 'ey wouln't be lettin' the likes of me inta one o' th' churches. These're th' least ripped an' dirty clothin' I got.”

“You should have told me. I would have given you one of my dresses to wear--”

“Naw, Abby, no needs fer that. If'n I went tae th' testin' lookin' like somethin' I'm not, yer mum would be ontae ye an' Wendy 'aster than ye could say 'Bob's yer uncle'. Las' thing ye two need.”

“True. I wish you weren't born in the slums of London, Anna...if that were so, or if I were the same station as you--”

“Yea, I know. Ye wouldn't have tae put up wi' those two snakes, no siree. No worryin' bou' wha' th' blokes're sayin' bou' animal talkin', neither.”

“Yes...and yes, she did give me an earful, as you put it.”

“Thought so. How's 'bou we swing on by th' bridge an' have a nice look at the river on the way?”

“Any other day, I'd agree with you, but I don't want to be late. I'd never hear the end of it.”

“Yeah, yer right.”

A few minutes later, Anna was telling Abigail a joke she had heard from a movie.

“...an' I says, 'How're ye doin', grandad?' He goes an' says, 'A lil' down in the mouth...'”

The two girls laughed. “You never could tell a joke right, but always make people laugh anyway. I always liked that about you.”

“Aww, yer flatterin' me, Abby.”

From behind, they heard a familiar, outraged voice shout, “Halt, both of you!”

Both jerked still and muttered, “Oh, bloody hell...”

They turned around and found Catherine and Elizabeth Marks, both walking their way and both looking furious.

They found out, Abigail thought and sighed. Whenever the two sisters were around, Anna had to always use the name of Abigail, and not Abby, in order to not let on that the two were good friends.

I hate us having to do that, but what choice do I have?

She remained silent while the sisters began berating both her and Anna, which caused the latter to suddenly lose her temper. Catherine and Anna would have gotten into a fight, but Elizabeth quickly and coldly reminded them of the testing.

Can't we just get along? I hate being of the upper class!

* * *

Abigail sat quietly in the waiting area as Elizabeth returned from the testing. Something she had said had caused the Cockney girl to flat out accuse them of lying, which in itself almost started a fight.

* * *

“Please,”she said, “It'll look bad for all of us if you fight in here.”

As expected, Catherine and Elizabeth looked down on her with icy stares, as though they were saying, Mind your place.

“Awright,” Anna said, “Fer yer sake, Ab'gail, an' b'cause I don't want any fightin' tae get me booted b'fore I can even join th' school.”

“That's if someone as lowly as you becomes a student, don't forget,” Elizabeth replied in that airy-but-icy tone, “but if you do, it'll mean that they have no sense or taste in students.”

Abigail was about to remind them not to be saying such things, but Anna beat her to it with a dark expression.

“Now ye better watch it. 'sult me all ye like, but don't ye dare be sayin' that trash-talk 'bout th' Taelons!”

Not again...

Before anything else could be said, the door opened again, and An'or stepped out. When he did, the waiting room went deathly silent.

If miss Newkirk and the two of you do become students,” he replied, “You had best put such tempers to better use. The school is competitive, but there are things that will not be tolerated. Do I make myself clear?”

“Yes, An'or,” the three replied.

Abigail could tell that the contrite voices of the Marks sisters were false, as usual, but the tone from Anna was genuine.

“Good. Abigail Kingsfield.”

She breathed a sigh of relief and got up, following the Taelon into the main part of the auditorium. An'or gave her the same explanation once they arrived at the areas with headphones.

“Understand?” he asked.

“Yes, An'or.”

“First station.”

She put on the headphones in the indicated area and listened carefully, then quickly answered, “It's a fox hunt. The fox is begging for his life, for the sake of his kits, and three of the hounds are saying they don't get enough to eat. One of the dogs is injured.”

“Second station.”

She complied, then listened. Almost immediately, she said, “It's the ocean, during a hurricane. I hear the rage of the wind and the pelting of the rain during the storms. It's a little chaotic, but I can still understand it pretty clearly.”

“Third station.”

Her answer was almost as quickly, “It's the fire that was in the London slums a few days ago. Started by one of Anna Newkirk's neighbors, Peter Higgins.”

“Did you get that from the newspapers?”

“No...it's from the flames themselves. Also, I hear them protesting because,” she widened her eyes, “Anna's there! She and one of the Taelons were trying to put it out.”

“Very interesting. If I play that again, would you be able to tell who the Taelon was?”

“Yes.”

An'or played the sound bit again, and within a minute, he had his answer.

“The Taelon that was there was Quo'on.”

“I see...fourth station.”

She complied and listened carefully. “It's a lion on the African savannah, going after a zebra. The zebra's begging for his life, but the lion's having none of it.”

“Next station.”

This continued for a few more minutes until she had gone through all seven stations, giving quick answers. An'or then had her go with him to the back, out in the garden. As soon as she went outside, she saw a certain cat.

“Morning, Tainbel,” she said, “How is your garden doing today?”

The cat looked cross at first, until it realized who was talking to him.

Abigail! You're doing testing too?

“Yes, I am. Don't tell me the Marks sisters were here?”

They were, and very nasty about it, too.

“I'm really sorry. They don't appreciate cats too well, do they?”

No, but I'm glad not all of the candidates today are like them. I'm glad there are humans like you who understand the truth of things.

“You're flattering me. Keeping the birds and other animals in line, are you?”

You know it, the cat meowed with a toothy grin, I already had breakfast, courtesy of the Taelons.

“You get along well with animals, it seems,” An'or commented.

“Yes, especially cats. I envy them, being free to do what they wish,” she replied with a sigh.

The Taelon said nothing but motioned for her to come with him. She quickly said her farewells to Tainbel and followed him back to the auditorium proper, then into the waiting room.

“You were at it longer,” Elizabeth remarked, “Had any trouble with the test, I take it?”

“No, actually. I was at all seven of the listening stations and uncovering something for An'or.”

“And talking to cats again?” Catherine sneered, then both sisters laughed at Abigail's guilty expression.

Anna growled, but said nothing, keeping the Taelon's warning in mind.

 

End of chapter 3

 

Zurück / Back

 

Zum Seitenanfang