Startseite Aktuelles Update Geschichten Kategorien Bilder Forum - Der Baum Links Hilfe Kontakt
  „London Ladies” by Deona Lindholm,   February 2012
Disclaimer:  Earth: Final Conflict belongs to Tribune Entertainment Co., Lost Script Prod. Inc., Atlantis Films and VOX. Please don't publish this story without permission of the author.
 
Summary:  During the events of “Meeting in Moonlight”, four young girls in London undergo testing as Songcrafter candidates.
Setting:  Aftermath of Silent Falls meltdown
Characters:  Elizabeth and Catherine Marks, Anna Newkirk, Abigail Kingsfield, An'or, Quo'on
 

 

LONDON LADIES

Chapter 1: Catherine

 

“Miss! Wake up!”

Mmm...leave me alone...

“Miss! You need to wake up now!”

Why? Let me sleep!

“Today's th' day, miss!”

The day?

“Look here, miss, if you don't get up, I've got permission to toss water on you!”

A pair of blue eyes snapped open at this, then glared with intense anger.

The target of the anger, a maid wearing a black and white dress, shook her head, brown locks waving about.

“Don't you remember, miss? Today's the day of the testing!”

“Why don't you go bother Elizabeth?”

“Your sister is already up and ready for breakfast, miss Catherine. Has been for about half an hour.”

“Fine, fine...why can't the bloody testing be during a decent time, and not this godforsaken hour?” Catherine growled as she got up out of her bed.

The maid wisely ignored the comment and brought out a fancy, blue dress, a white jacket and a blue ribbon for the mistress's curly, blonde hair.

“Who set out these?” the girl snapped, “I want to wear my favorite green, velvet dress and cashmere scarf!”

“Your mother did, miss Catherine, and she said to not allow for any changes.”

At first the maid feared that the young miss would lose her temper, as she always did if at least one or two things didn't go just-so.

“Oh, very well. I tell you, Jane, if I know mother, she'll want us to be prompt with breakfast, then out the door.”

“Yes, miss Catherine, that's just so.”

The girl nodded, then said, “Now leave the room at once, so that I can get ready. Tell her that I will be down shortly.”

“Yes, miss,” Jane replied, bowed, then left the room, heading downstairs and into the dining room. Inside it were a woman with blonde hair that was pinned up into a bun, a man with dark hair that was going gray at the temples and a younger girl with straight, blonde hair all sat at the table. The man and woman were dressed in their daily attire, proper for a pair of upper-crust aristocrats. The girl wore a white dress, red hairband and shoes and regarded the maid with cool, blue eyes.

“G'morning, master. G'morning, ma'am,” Jane bowed and greeted cheerily, “G'morning, miss Elizabeth. Up and about already, aren't you?”

Elizabeth nodded and replied, “But of course. I know how important this testing is for us and our family. I shan't bring dishonor upon our name by being tardy.”

“Speaking of tardy,” the older woman put in, “I take it Catherine was still asleep?”

“Yes, ma'am. She woke before I made good on the threat of tossing water on her.”

The woman sighed and rubbed the bridge of her nose. “I don't know what goes through that girl's mind. She can't very well sleep as long as she likes. There's a life to be living.”

The man shook his head and said, “She's got your temperament, Diana.”

“But she's also a tad spoiled. If she gets selected, the training should rid her of it.”

A few minutes later, the other young girl slammed the doors open and came into the dining room, not bothering to greet anyone.

“Catherine! Where are your manners?” her father asked coldly.

“They went with my sleep at this ghastly hour,” she replied as she sat down.

“That's no way to talk back to your family. You're almost eighteen, not eight. High time you act your age, not your shoe size.”

“Yes, yes, I know. You want us to become Songcrafters. But father, I have no interest in playing music. I'm an aristocrat's daughter, not something from the gutter!”

The man was about to snap in anger when Elizabeth said coolly, “So you would have no interest in the prestige and power that would come with it? Imagine, being a Songcrafter for our proud country's Companion, or maybe for a Taelon that's another such position. Think of the power of that, sister!”

“Mmm...an interesting way of putting it. Fine, we'll go, without more fuss.”

“Good,” the mother said approvingly, “Now, the testing grounds won't be far, so you'll be walking there. Be sure to pick up Abigail on the way.”

“Yes, mother,” the girls said.

“And for God's sakes, try to ignore that little Cockney girl,” the father groaned.

“Father, why would we even have anything to do with that little guttersnipe?” Elizabeth asked, indignant.

“Good. Always remember, you are the daughters of British aristocracy. It's your duty to act accordingly.”

* * *

The sisters left the house, carrying parasols that matched their outfits. Their first stop was down the street, where the Kingsfield family lived.

“I can understand why us, but why would she be eligible for testing? I mean, isn't one of her relatives a law professor across the pond?” Catherine asked.

“Yes, but the Kingsfields also have musicians in their family. Besides...I heard that Abigail talks to cats when she think nobody's watching and acts like she knows what they say.”

“Cats! Of all things! Can't she pick a more fitting animal, like dogs?”

“I never could understand that girl, either. Doesn't she care that people will talk, more than they do?”

“Apparently not...and neither do we! I say, let her reap what she sows!”

Both girls laughed at this, then arrived at their destination. They opened the black, iron gate and walked down the pathway and went to the door. Elizabeth pressed the button.

A moment later, a man wearing a black suit opened it. His dark hair was closely cut and equally dark eyes were sharp and severe for a moment as he looked at them.

“May I help you?” he asked.

“Elizabeth and Catherine Marks, Forbes. We're here to pick up Abigail.”

“My apologies, miss Elizabeth, but miss Abigail is not here.”

“Oh? We're supposed to pick her up and then go to the Songcrafters' testing.”

“Yes, I know, young miss, but she has already left for the testing site, accompanied by one of the candidates.”

“I see. Thank you,” Catherine said tartly, then left, with her sister in tow.

“Can you bloody believe it?” she said once out of earshot, “She was supposed to come with us! Who would dare usurp us, the Marks Sisters?”

“I have no idea,” Elizabeth admitted.

“Well we had best get going. We can't afford to be late.”

The sisters said nothing more as they walked down the streets of London. Once they came near the downtown, they saw two familiar girls.

One of them was of average height, with curly, back-length red hair and green eyes, wearing a green, velvet dress that looked to belong on someone of either the much upper-crust or the nobility. The other was a little taller, wearing a blouse, pants and cap that was all earth brown, as well as a red scarf that looked tattered and torn. Under the cap was a freckled face with short, black hair and dark eyes.

Catherine's eyes sparked with anger and she shouted, “Halt, both of you!”

The two other girls froze in their tracks.

“Abigail Kingsfield,” she continued, addressing the redhead, “What in bloody hell do you think you're doing with this guttersnipe?”

The short haired girl whirled on the others, anger plain on her face.

“...'ey! Who're ye callin' a guttersnipe? For yer information, I'm escortin' her to the 'Crafter testin', you snooty lil' twit!”

“Snooty little twit, am I? We've known you have little sense, Anna Newkirk, but to have the gall to usurp our duty and claim to be a candidate? You've gone too far.”

“Claim to be a 'andidate? I am a 'andidate! Wot 'appened, you 'ave your 'ead in th' clouds for too long tha' yer brains lost air?”

“You...!”

“Sister, we can't let this....brainless idiot cause us to be late. We'll let the Taelons tend to the little dreamer,” Elizabeth cut in with an airy, yet cold tone and looked down on Anna.

“Fine, so let's get goin'! I won't let ye idjits cause me ta' get into trouble wi' Quo'on.”

“Don't you dare--” Catherine snapped and then felt Elizabeth grab her arm as she walked down the street.

* * *

A few minutes later, the four girls arrived at the nearby auditorium. In front of the doors were two security guards.

“Anna Newkirk, Cath'rine an' 'Lizabeth Marks, an' Ab'gail Kingsfield 'ere for Songcrafter testin',” The Cockney girl said.

Ha, now her little bubble will be burst, the Marks sisters thought.

“Yes, Quo'on and An'or are expecting all four of you. Go on in,” the guard on the left replied, then moved aside.

What?! Are those guards stupid or just pulling our legs? Catherine thought, indignant, either way, they have a lot of gall!

The four girls walked down the corridor and then reached the main part of the auditorium, a large space that, unlike others, was made of domes, instead of square rooms. Throughout the place were instruments, both Earth and apparently Taelon origin. There were also places to sit, as well as a stage in the back. In the middle of the largest dome stood a pair of Taelons.

A crow flew from one part of the dome and landed on Anna's shoulder before cawing.

“That so?” she said, “Good, least those idjits didn't make me late wi' bringin' Kingsfield.”

The crow flew off.

“Interesting act of yours, pretending to talk to that bird,” Catherine sneered.

“Yer lucky tha' I don' want my chances wrecked, or I'd knock some sense inta' ye!”

“What did you say, little guttersnipe? You'd dare hit an aristocrat's daughter?”

“Enough,” The Taelon on the left spoke sharply, “Miss Newkirk is just as much a candidate as you, Catherine Marks.” He then said to Anna, “Thank you for bringing miss Kingsfield with you.”

“Nae problem, Quo'on.”

The other Taelon, An'or, said, “Each of you has already undergone physical examinations, as you each know. If they had not been satisfactory, you would not be undergoing the testing today.” He looked directly at Catherine and Elizabeth and added, “That would include miss Newkirk.”

Neither of the sisters dared to say anything after that.

“Now, the four of you will go to the sitting room outside and wait. An'or will call for each of you, one at a time, to undergo the second stage of testing. Understood?”

“Yes, Quo'on,” the four replied.

“Good. Go now.”

The three wealthier women simply walked back, but Anna performed the Taelon salute before leaving.

In the sitting room, none of the girls spoke a word. Now that the Marks sisters realized that Anna truly was a Songcrafter candidate, they didn't dare do something that would disqualify themselves.

This must be a bad dream, Catherine thought, First mother and father get all prim and proper on us, that little Cockney brat usurps our own duties, and now she's one of the candidates. I should get Elizabeth to pinch me so that I'll wake up.

My dear sister must be fuming, Elizabeth thought, Not that I blame her one bit. That little bit of street urchin, one of the candidates? This is a cruel world indeed. She forgets, though, we have ways of making our enemies disappear, whenever we want to.

I'm nervous and excited, Abigail thought, I hope I do get picked to become a Songcrafter student. I know it's a lot of work, but that's all right. I just wish I didn't have to deal with the Marks sisters. I don't like them, but I have no choice in that matter.

Anna thought, Oi! Those bloody 'olier-than-thou twits, 'ow dare they say that I'm 'mpersonatin' a 'andidate? Jus' b'cause I run 'bout town, free as me birdies an' livin' me life. Don' give a cuss who sees me talkin' to said birdies, either, 'ey tell me lots of things 'ey wouldn't tell anyone else. Cor Blimey, if those two ever make it in, they'll get 'emselves kicked out 'fore the year's gone! Poor Ab'gail, havin' tae put up wi' those two snakes jus' 'cause of their families bein' all buddy-buddy.

An'or opened the door and said, “Catherine Marks.”

She got up from her seat and walked into the main room, where she had been in a few minutes before. Quo'on was no longer in sight.

“So how does this work?” she asked.

“Come with me,” was all that the Taelon said and walked to one of the smaller domes, where a set of seven machines, complete with an equal amount of earphones, stood. Once they arrived, he said, “Go to the one on the far left and put them on. I will play back something, and you will tell me what is said.”

She looked quizzically at him but did as she was told. An'or made a motion with a hand that looked like some kind of sign language. Almost instantly, familiar sounds came over the headphones.

“A pack of hunting dogs,” she replied, without thinking about it, “They've cornered a fox for their masters. Three of them are complaining about not getting enough to eat, and one of them about the left hind leg hurting.”

He made no gesture that he had heard, other than to say, “Go to the second one, doing the same thing.”

Catherine complied, and listened. She answered, “Sounds like the ocean to me. I can hear the fish inside it, but the water's drowning them out. Never did care for the sound of that.”

“Third station.”

This time, her answer was almost immediate. “It's a fire, started a few days ago here in London. The fire's saying it was started by one of the street urchins.”

“How do you know so quickly?”

“I understand fire's language quite well. The same goes for dogs, foxes, and--”

“That will suffice,” he cut in, “Now follow me to the atrium.”

How uncouth! She thought, but said nothing as she complied with the Taelon's command. Once they went through the door that was at the back, which lead to the outdoors, she heard the sound of birds chirping. Before she could say anything, she heard, very distinctly, a loud meow.

Watch where you're going! This is my garden!

“Your garden? Mind your tongue, you! This place is no more yours than it is mine.”

That attitude is going to be your downfall. Open your mind more, and you would see things as they are.

“My, my! A mere cat, telling me what will and will not be in my future! Perish the thought!”

This continued for a few moments before An'or told her to return to the waiting room.

As she went into the room and closed the door behind her, Elizabeth asked, “Well, sister? How did it go?”

“Well...”

“Out with it!”

“It was mere child's play. I don't see the purpose in what was asked and where I went.”

Anna snorted, but said nothing.

 

End of chapter 1

 

Zurück / Back

 

Zum Seitenanfang