Startseite Aktuelles Update Geschichten Kategorien Bilder Forum - Der Baum Links Hilfe Kontakt
  “Collectors” by Foxfeather and Kelara/Anastasia   (for the email address see the author's page)
Part 2 written by:  Foxfeather
Please don't publish this story without permission of the authors.
 
Autor's notes:  Lennier, Delenn, John (Sheridan) and Michael (Garibaldi) are the property of Michael J. Straczinsky (sp) and whoever else owns Babylon 5. Song lyrics are taken from Bill Mumy's (the actor who plays Lennier) album “In the current” from the song “Stronger than Gravity” without permission. That song is undertitled “Lennier to Delenn”.
 

 

COLLECTORS

Chapter 2

 

He sat leaned against the wall, lost in thought.
In the next room he could hear two people having a fight. He couldn't understand what it was about, the language they used wasn't known to him. Probably about water. Something that seemed nonexistent at this place.
He leaned back, closed his eyes and remembered.

Her face. It wouldn't let go of him. Angelical. And as it was with angels, out of reach.
‘My place is at your side’, he had said and meant it. Nevertheless, he had betrayed her. He had tried to kill her husband. Locked in a small room filling with deadly gas he had had the opportunity to save him and another, by simply opening the door from outside, but he had run away. A few corridors away he had changed his mind, turned around to help, but when he arrived at the room, John already had managed to free himself.
He had betrayed her. He had flown. The guilt had dragged him down into a dark hole.
Only hours later he could force himself to contact her and apologize. He had sworn he would not return until he felt worthy enough to face her again.
He had never returned.
The first time he had hidden, afraid she would search for him. He could not face her, not with this guilt.
There had been times he had wished he'd be dead, but he knew, even death would not erase the guilt.
Nearly two years he had dragged himself on from here to there, keeping his head above the water working as a pilot or a translator. But he had never found a place he would stay longer than a few weeks.
Now and then he heard news of her and every time it had torn his heart to shreds that he wasn't at her side when she had to face a problem or achieved success.
She had needed him, as an aide, as an agent and as a friend. Who was now holding this position? Whoever it was, should he dare to let her down he would...
What? Kill him? *He* had let her down. What punishment was hard enough for *him*?
He wished to make everything undone, but that was impossible.
Then the thought of what she would think of him, should she see him living like this had occurred to him. And he had decided to pull himself out of this... this swamp.
After that decision things had been looking up for him. In that first two years of his run and from his former friend Michael he had learned a lot about gaining information that went round in the so-called underworld and soon he had managed to become indispensable to several secret services. Slowly he had climbed the “ladder of success”. Soon the big tycoons confided in him. He knew he exposed himself to danger by helping them: His actions harmed one as well as it helped the other, though he paid attention to everything he was doing to be legal.
His fighting abilities were respected, too. And in underworld circles he had soon gained the reputation of being a person to reckon with. An enemy, but an esteemed one. Many knew about his past as being a high ranked member of the government once. Rumors about the cause of his dismissal were circling, but he did nothing to encourage one or another. The mystery only made him more interesting.
Pilot, aide, fighter, translator.
“Morin Cha”, they called him, ‘helping hand’. And his reputation led the way for him.
What would she think, hearing about him in the news? Would she be proud of him? Would she care?

He looked up when the fight in the next room ended with a loud cry. Then there was silence. Perhaps the poor fellow that had lost the fight had the luck in this case. It didn't interest him any more.

If he thought about *her*, a song came to his mind, an old song from Earth that Michael had played for him on an antique machine, that they had repaired together.

“Stronger than gravity, deeper than any sea
More than eternity you are to me.
Truer than any prayer, softer than heaven's air
Fine as the word can be you are to me.

But I can't tell you how I feel
That my love is here and real
I'll never hold you in my arms
And feel your heart beat.

Touched by the light of Grace, a smile on an angel's face
More than the soul can see you are to me.
Reason to carry on, hope for a brighter dawn
Infinite fantasy you are to me”

But for some time now he had the feeling that the emotion he had called love had decreased. He knew now that he could never return to her and her world. The feeling of duty was as strong as it had ever been, but the reverence he took for love had vanished somehow. He had finally lost his naivety. And he had become tired of this life. His goal to finally see her again had melted away with the time.

And now he was sitting here in this cell, slowly dying of thirst and hunger, his lost naivety, his emotions doing nothing to help him out of it.

They had been called to help, on the way from an appointment a few star systems away. It looked like some sort of gang war had taken place. They had come to inspect the debris, to search for survivors. And to walk into a trap.
One of the wracks had turned out to be still fit for some action and had attacked them.
The two fighters next door had to be members of one of the two gangs. Nobody had shown up to look after them. And what the enemy captured him for he didn't know either. Strange. Who arrested people to let them starve to death?
But he quickly lost the interest in that thought.
Here was nothing he could fight for or against. He had tried to escape first, but had no success. And even if he could escape, what would he do next?
Delenn was out of reach, and there was nothing and nobody else waiting for him outside. Lennier closed his eyes again and left himself to his fate.

 

 

Zurück / Back

 

Zum Seitenanfang