Startseite Aktuelles Update Geschichten Kategorien Bilder Forum - Der Baum Links Hilfe Kontakt
  „Energy transformation” by Ceng   (for the email address see the author's page),   March 2006
Disclaimer: All characters belong to their respective owners. Earth: Final Conflict belongs to Tribune Entertainment Co., Lost Script Prod. Inc., Atlantis Films and VOX. Please don't publish this story without permission of the author.
 
Plot:  Liam and Ben finish their report in front of the synod. Meanwhile Zo'or decides to secretly sneak onboard the mothership to be able to defend himself.
Setting:  forth season
Cast:  Zo'or, Liam, Da'an, T'than, Augur, Mit'gai, Ben Bring, Vi'ec, In'um, K'ket, Vu'oto, further synod members, a volunteer
 

 

ENERGY TRANSFORMATION

Chapter 8

 

After Zo'or had drunk some water, he remembered why he had gone to the kitchenette in the first place. He wanted to find food that Major Kincaid had to have somewhere. After all, he was human, too.
The young Taelon began to rummage through the cupboards. He finally decided on something that was labeled 'mixed-grain bread'. Because he did not know what the humans usually did with this, he just took out a slice and ate it.
How long would the synod question Kincaid and the boy? Obviously, the hearing had gone on for several hours already.
But because it did not help to keep on asking himself when it was about to end, Zo'or turned to the apartment of Da'an's protector once again. He had not had a closer look at the bathroom yet. He had avoided this so far, because he associated it with an inevitable embarrassment, since he had become human. The humans had to perform the excretion of waste products several times a day; luckily, he had been informed of this before. When he had decided to undergo this experiment, he had allowed the basic requirements of a human to be displayed to him. The other requirements had not seemed important enough for him to deal with. They did not seem to require special previous knowledge, but when a subject was embarrassing even for the humans and they did not like to talk about it, he wanted to be informed about it beforehand. After he had experienced it himself, he could at least understand the humans on this point. He considered it extraordinary humiliating.
But now he was standing in the bathroom again and finally watched his image in the mirror above the sink. He glanced away quickly. He looked so... human. Not only the body, but also the facial movements and gestures kept becoming more human. He had to get back to the commonality soon, to finally escape all this madness. But before he had to use his time here and now. Before long, his thoughts led him back to his original intention. He let his glance wander around the room.

 
* * *
 

“I say you're right, In'um” Vi'ec agreed. “Although, you have to remember that Zo'or couldn't be aware of the exact effect the alcohol would haven on his body.”
“That's nonsense, Vi'ec.” T'than interrupted once again. “Zo'or knew about the effect that poison would have on a human. He wasn't any less aware of this than any other human.”
“I agree with In'um and T'than. This carelessness of Zo'or is to be sanctioned.” a Taelon began to speak who had been silent so far.
Da'an lowered his head slowly, but in agreement. “Yes K'ket, but you have to admit he wouldn't have acted like this as a Taelon without a human body.”
The other Taelons also agreed.
“Very well. Major Kincaid, please proceed.” Vi'ec demanded from Liam with a delicate movement of his hand.
“Well, we took Zo'or to Dr. Curzon. She checked him, but didn't find anything life-threatening.” Liam reported.
“Didn't you leave something out, Major Kincaid?” T'than asked, still watching Liam maliciously.
But the Major kept his eyes to Vi'ec. “Zo'or refused to lie on the examination table and could not be calmed by either Ben or Da'an. Finally he jumped towards Ben and kissed him.” Liam finished. Now he turned to T'than, who still watched him with a triumphant glance. Ben looked nervous, stared at the ground, and did not seem to know how to behave. Liam could truly understand this and wished he would be able to calm Ben.
K'ket tilted his head. “What do you mean by this, Major? I'm not familiar with this expression.”
Liam noticed with worry that Ben's face was becoming crimson red.

 
* * *
 

Zo'or looked around at the bathroom. In fact, nothing interesting seemed to be here. In front of him there was one of those cleaning devices of the humans. It was after this that the human expression 'energy shower' had been created for their energy supply device. But Zo'or did not want to deal with this right now. He turned around and went back into the living room, but it seemed to him like there was nothing of any importance there. And anyway, he was only wasting his time there.
Why should he stay here? He was the leader of the synod! And he had to find some way to attend the hearing of Major Kincaid and Ben. He had to hear what those two were saying. As long as he was not there, he had no chance to defend himself.
Zo'or ran out the door into the 'Flat Planet'. There he noticed someone who was not a complete stranger to him.
He hurried to the bar, where he found the one he had spotted and waited until the man was near enough to him so that he could talk to him. “Mr. Devereaux, I didn't expect to meet you here.” the synod leader noted. The man startled. “Zo'or, what're you doing here?”
“So you know who I am. Maybe I should ask you where from?” Zo'or noted, triumphant.
“Damn!” the other one seemed to have noticed his mistake. “I have my sources.”
“May I ask then, who those sources are?” Zo'or asked with a challenging grin.
“No, you may not.” was the hesitant, but also determined, answer.
Zo'or saw his chance for his venture at hand. “Well then, maybe you could help me to get onboard the mothership. In return I won't tell anyone about your whereabouts. I think Agent Sandoval would just love to have you in one of his interrogation cells again.”
“Okay, okay, I got it.” Augur said, annoyed. “Wait here; I will make you an identity as a volunteer.”
“Wait!” Zo'or commanded. “I'll come with you.”
“I won't take you with me to my home!” the hacker protested.
“Yes, you will! Come, now!”
With a disapproving glare Augur took his jacket and left the café with Zo'or following him.

 
* * *
 

“That is a human gesture, which signals the intention of pairing.” T'than said, explaining and throwing the two humans a disapproving glare.
Ben wished he could have smacked his forehead with his hand. What did this arrogant War Minister intend to achieve? In the synod members' eyes the humans had to seem more and more primitive. He, as the only hundred percent human in this room, felt really stupid.
But Liam tried to handle the situation again. “I don't think you can just define it that easily. It's actually a gesture that expresses sympathy.”
Ben noticed that T'than looked at the Major, annoyed.
K'ket skeptically tilted his head and watched his fellow Taelons. One of the Taelons began to speak. “How would you specifically assess this situation then, Major?”
Liam threw a brief glance at Ben, who was still watching him helplessly, and then turned to the synod again. “I don't think I'm the best person to assess this situation, maybe you should just ask Zo'or personally.”
“Just answer Vu'oto's question, Major.” T'than ordered.
Liam nodded reluctantly. “I think Zo'or was just so confused that he didn't think anything at all. For whatever reason he did it, he seemed to have looked for a focal point and he obviously saw it in Ben.”
“Thank you, Major. We should convene privately, now.” Vi'ec said with a look to Da'an. The temporary synod leader tilted his head in agreement. “Alright. Major Kincaid, Mr. Bring, you may leave now.” he dismissed the humans.
Liam gave a tiny nod and went away. Ben looked over to him and finally followed the Major out of the room.
“Do you think they're going to punish Zo'or somehow now?” Ben asked, when they where out of the Taelons' earshot.
“I don't know, but 'till now they always tolerated his often aggressive behavior. If they're convinced he'll become as he was before as a Taelon, they'll probably just keep accepting what he does.” Liam replied.

 
* * *
 

Zo'or stood in one of the public portals, in which controls he had just entered the coordinates of a portal on the mothership. Seconds later, interdimensional space had swept him away and he was standing onboard the mothership. The volunteer on duty briefly looked up at him. “Your identity!” he demanded.
Zo'or looked down his volunteer uniform. “Volunteer Hellmann.” he answered briefly and watched as the man who was clothed like himself checked his identity at the console. Zo'or could only hope that Augur had not tried to fool him. But his fear turned out to be without cause, because the volunteer just let him pass with a short nod.
Zo'or continued his way, thinking of keeping a neutral impression on his face and hiding his non-existant implant. With calm steps, he turned around the next corner. When he was out of sight and he could not see any other volunteers, he went towards one of the terminals, to find the place where the meeting of the synod was taking place. He finally found it and began his way there. The synod had to listen to him; after all he was still their leader. He was half way there, when he noticed someone was approaching him. But that was not important, he just had to keep walking and probably nobody would notice him. He turned around the corner and almost jumped, when he saw who the other people in the corridor were. Unfortunately it was too late to hide, he already had been recognized.
“Zo'or? What are you doing here?” Major Kincaid called. Ben, who was standing next to him, also gave him a shocked look.
“I have to speak to the synod, Major.” he said, determined.
Kincaid took a step towards him, grabbed his arm and dragged him into a side corridor. “You have to get away from here immediately, before anyone sees you.” the Major said.
“You can't go to the synod. They don't think you're accountable, and your appearance surely won't change their opinion.” Ben added.
Zo'or gave him an angry glare. How dared this human?
Kincaid obviously saw in his face that he was not about to just accept it, because he added: “He's right, you have to leave the mothership.”
Zo'or saw that he would not be able to change Kincaid's mind. After a split second's deliberation, he pulled out of the grip of a surprised Major and started running. He had to get away from here.

Ben watched in horror as Zo'or freed himself and ran down one of the corridors.
“Damn! Come back!” he shouted, and also started running. But when he turned around the corner, Zo'or was nowhere to be found.
Did this stupid Taelon not know what he was doing? Slowly he began to believe that the synod leader was not up to this situation. But how had he gotten to the mothership in the first place? Liam came running and stood next to him.
“We have to find him.” he told Ben. “We separate. You turn right and I take the left.”
Ben nodded and started running. He searched the complete corridor, but did not find anything. He met some volunteers, but the one he was looking for was not among them. He was just passing a small group, when he recognized a movement on the ground in a recess out of the corner of his eye. He waited until the volunteers were far enough away and then jumped on the person, who turned out to be the one he was looking for. He grabbed Zo'or's arm and pulled him out. “How dare you? Let go of me!” the Taelon tried to resist.
“Zo'or, stop this nonsense and come with me now!” Ben snapped at him. He heard steps which were coming closer. He had the presence of mind to pull Zo'or with him into the next best room, which turned out to be Mit'gai's lab. Quickly he and the reluctantly dragged along synod leader took cover.
“How did you get up here, anyway?” Ben asked, lowering his voice.
Zo'or smiled sourly. “A certain Augur was very helpful in this case.” he informed the boy.
So Zo'or had dragged Augur into this whole thing! But Ben could not get worked up, because in Zo'or's view he was not supposed to know Augur at all.
“So you got yourself a false identity.” he noted instead. Then he pulled out his global and dialed Liam's number.
Only moments later the Major appeared on the screen.
“Liam, I found him.” he said briefly.
The Major looked at him at least a little more relieved. “Where are you?” he wanted to know.
“In Mit'gai's lab.” Ben answered.
“I'll be right there.” With this sentence Liam ended the global link. A few moments later he already came running.
“Damn, I think Vu'oto noticed that you're on the ship, Zo'or.” the Major noted. “He was suddenly standing behind me.”
In this very moment his global went off. He took it and held it so that the two others were not to be seen. “Da'an.” he greeted the caller.
“Major, I heard that you brought Zo'or here already. Bring him to Mit'gai's lab, the healer and me will also arrive there soon.” the voice of the North American Companion resonated from the global.
“Of course, Da'an.” Liam answered, before the conversation was ended.
“Zo'or, take off your volunteer uniform.” the Major said. The Taelon only looked at him angrily. “What's this nonsense about, Major? And anyway, I have to talk to the synod.”
“The meeting was over long ago and when Da'an and Mit'gai are here, they'll realize you sneaked up here.” Liam explained. But Zo'or turned away, foaming with rage, and ran towards the entrance. Ben felt that he was now getting fed up with this situation. Quickly, he jumped a little forward and grabbed Zo'or by the arm once again. In return, he received a kick to his shinbone. Ben screamed, but held Zo'or briskly. He would not escape once again.
“Take off your uniform now!” he commanded. Zo'or actually seemed to be impressed, because he finally seemed to realize that he had to resign to the demands of the two humans. He took off the silver-black uniform and gave it to Liam. Now he was only wearing underwear. While Liam tried to hide the volunteer uniform somewhere, Ben took off his own sweater and gave it to the barely dressed synod leader. Confused he stared at the piece of cloth, but then hurried to take it on. Just in time, as it turned out, when the two announced Taelons entered the room.
“Lie down over there.” Mit'gai told him with a passing movement of his hand into the direction of the table. Zo'or nodded and did what the healer demanded from him. Mit'gai focused on his monitors. Then he turned to Da'an. “The time of transformation is almost over. He has to transform back soon.”
Da'an slightly tilted his head and turned his glance back to Zo'or. Then a light glowing seemed to emit from the table, which lasted for some minutes. Da'an briefly watched the two humans. He obviously had noticed Zo'or was wearing Ben's sweater, but did not say anything.
When the glowing decreased, a Taelon with a human facade was to be seen, who slowly stood up. “Zo'or?” addressed him Da'an.
The facade of the synod leader flickered slightly. “I am going to my quarters and do not wish to be disturbed.” he said, before he turned away and left.

 
* * *
 

Two days later Ben was onboard the mothership again. Zo'or had asked to see him. This would be his first contact with the Taelon since he had regained his true form. What was awaiting Ben now? After all that had happened, he expected the worst. And not even Liam had been allowed to accompany him, because Zo'or had insisted that only he should be brought to him.
Ben gulped and entered the bridge. Zo'or noticed his arrival and instantly sent out all the volunteers. Then he aimed his glance at the arriving boy.
“Ben, it is nice you could come.” the synod leader greeted him kindly.
Ben nodded and formed the Taelon greeting.
Zo'or proceeded. “With my transformation back into a Taelon I completely regained my entire memory. Now I can remember what happened when I was unable to think clearly. I can neither blame Major Kincaid nor you for your behavior. You did the right thing. On the contrary, I'm grateful you didn't just leave me to manage the situation alone. I also noticed what you kept from the synod. I'm sorry I didn't trust you.”
Ben looked at him, shocked and it seemed like his eyes were about to fall out of his head. What had Zo'or just told him? He was grateful and...apologized to him? That was too much. Ben was unable to say a word.
Zo'or looked at him with tilted head. “You may leave now, but come back whenever you like.”
“Yeah...Zo'or...” Ben managed to say, before he turned away as if paralyzed and went to the portal.

Satisfied, the synod leader rose. Just then, Da'an came in with a surprised expression on his face.
“Zo'or, you behaved extremely noble towards this human. May I ask for what reason?”
The younger Taelon turned to his parent. “There were some moments in my time as a human; you don't know about them yet, Da'an. To punish that human, would be fatuous. He instantly would give away everything he knows.”
Da'an came a few steps nearer and held his open palm towards him.
“Show me, Zo'or.” he demanded. But he turned his look away. “No, Da'an.” he said and turned away without a word, to sit on his chair again. From the corner of his eye he noticed that Da'an followed the silent request and left.
A sharing would have been too risky. It was true that he was afraid Ben could give away his secrets, but that was not the whole truth. Relunctantly he had to admit he actually had begun to trust this human. He had never tried to turn him over to the synod, but had even protected him, so they did not get to learn anything that they did not know already. This little human had tried to save him several times, and obviously successfully avioded a condemnation from the synod. Even though he now was under stronger observation of his fellow Taelons, he still was the synod leader.
The humans were more cooperative than he had thought, and slowly he began to realize why Da'an had always tried to protect this primitive species. Primitive they were, but maybe the Taelons actually had to find other methods to work with them.
Resolved to keep this thought and also to protect the secret of the human called Augur, who had much potential, he turned towards the window and looked down to the Blue Planet which was floating in front of him.

 
* * *
 

“And you actually brought him here?” Liam asked. Augur nodded. “I know how strange all this sounds, Liam, but I had the feeling that Zo'or was serious when he said he didn't want to give away my hiding place. And at least 'till now no volunteers have showed up here.”
“He behaved more than strangely towards me, too.” Ben noted.
The three of them once again stood in Augur's subterranian home, the former headquarters of the resistance.
“You said he apologized to you?” Liam asked.
“Yeah.” he got in reply. “I could hardly believe it also, it really makes no sense. If he just wanted to have his secrets kept safely, he could've just implanted me with a CVI. That would've been much safer, and if it collapsed some time, it would've been easy to let me disappear. Lots of people have died from CVI-failure already.”
Liam nodded, thinking. “I really have to agree with you there, Zo'or probably actually tries to see an ally in you.”
“You don't really want to tell me you think that Zo'or suddenly changed and wants peace with humanity!” Augur interrupted.
Ben grinned slightly. “No, I wouldn't go that far. Zo'or still has his experiments with humans that he probably won't cancel. But I actually think he at least changed some.”
“I hope you're not mistaken.” Augur said slowly.
Liam nodded. “You're right, we should be watchful. But I think Ben should try to let Zo'or vote against one or another Taelon experiment. That could be more useful than any kind of resistance.”
The two others nodded in silent agreement.
Ben knew Liam was right. He had to build up further trust with Zo'or. He did not intend to betray him, but wanted to try to convince Zo'or he did not have to subdue humanity and that a peaceful way of living together was way more meaningful and effective. But that would probably be a complex and time-consuming venture. Even so, Ben had a feeling that he was prepared to put up with this.

 

THE END

 

Zurück / Back

 

Zum Seitenanfang