Startseite Aktuelles Update Geschichten Kategorien Bilder Forum - Der Baum Links Hilfe Kontakt
  „Energy transformation” by Ceng   (for the email address see the author's page),   October 2005
Disclaimer: All characters belong to their respective owners. Earth: Final Conflict belongs to Tribune Entertainment Co., Lost Script Prod. Inc., Atlantis Films and VOX. Please don't publish this story without permission of the author.
 
Plot:  The experiment is realized and the people involved finally get to know the test person's identity. But that also arouses great astonishment.
Setting:  forth season
Cast: Zo'or, Liam, Da'an, Renée, Mit'gai, T'than, Ben Bring
 

 

ENERGY TRANSFORMATION

Chapter 3

 

Sarah's departure had been a week ago. Today the day had come when the experiment should be realized. Because Ben was thought of by Augur as Sarah's son, he also was allowed to be present there. He already had gotten used to the life in this world. At least he knew many things about it and knew considerably more than barely anybody else knew here. In any case he was happy; Sarah's experiment could be realized. The planning was over. Because Sarah officially was dead now, Mit'gai would do the experiment with the help of Sarah's notes. Renée and Liam, with Da'an, were also supposed to be present. Obviously this operation was not known to the synod. But Zo'or did know about this! Ben was also worried, because it still was not known who was supposed to be the test subject.
The three humans and Da'an were waiting in the Taelon lab on the mothership, when they heard steps coming nearer. The door opened and Mit'gai came in. He was followed by another Taelon, who had to be the test subject. Ben's eyes widened when he recognized the Taelon.

“Zo'or?” Renée asked, also quite confused. “Yes, Miss Palmer.” she got in answer. “Couldn't you imagine I would undergo this experiment?”
“Well, I didn't think you would undergo this procedure yourself.” Renée admitted. “But I can't demand from another Taelon to do, what I fear.” Zo'or replied. *Oh no* Ben thought *Why does Zo'or want to play the hero now? There must be something behind this.* The others seemed to have similar thoughts, but did not say anything.
Finally, Zo'or spoke once again. “If nobody as any objections, I suggest that we begin the experiment.”
“Of course.” Mit'gai said and gave him the instruction to lie down on a table which was placed in the center of the room. Mit'gai turned to his readings. The others were standing behind him and were watching excitedly. Especially Da'an seemed to be very tense, but with the exception of Ben and of course the other Taelons, nobody seemed to know why.

When Mit'gai finally started the test running, a barrier was built up around Zo'or which shielded him from the others. Then the ray treatment began. Zo'or, who now was in his energy form, could actually feel how the rays were intriguing his body and changing his molecules. Yet, he was completely paralyzed, so that he could not even move an inch. In that position he had to wait until the experiment was done. When it was over and the shielding had deactivated he noticed he could move again. It felt so unusual in this new body that he first could not do this. It was completely different than in Pierce's body. He just felt weak, when he compared this to his earlier experience in a human body. Finally he managed to sit up and looked at those present. Da'an looked at him, worried and Mit'gai showed no signs that anything was out of the ordinary, but the three humans obviously tried to hide their grins.

Ben desperately still tried not to grin, when Zo'or sat up and looked at them. He surely would not be amused, but it was just too funny to see Zo'or as a woman. Somehow, they all subconsciously had expected he would become male. But when Ben thought about it he realized he should have known this. The Taelons and the humans looked exactly like their actors in his world. So Zo'or logically had to become female. But Ben's grinning just increased when he noticed Zo'or now actually was amazingly similar to Anita la Selva.
Zo'or was slowly getting annoyed. “Could you please tell me, what is amusing you?” he snapped at the humans, who then hectically tried not to look at him. “Da'an?” he turned to his parent, questioning, when he realized he would not get any helpful answer from the humans. “Zo'or, I think we all didn't expect you, in your human form, to become female.” he answered, while throwing a warning look at the humans.
“How long is this transformation expected to last?” Renée tried to change topic. Mit'gai turned towards her. “The duration appears to be about two days.” he answered.

Zo'or did not know how to deal with this situation. He did not still feel his connection to the commonality either, although he somehow knew it was still there. “Perhaps you first should change your clothing.” Renée Palmer finally said. “These jump suits are not exactly everyday wear for humans.” Zo'or looked down at himself. Indeed, his clothing felt unusual and not very comfortable. “That's a good suggestion.” he said and stood up from the table, slightly twisting his left ankle. Zo'or winced, when he felt the sudden pain in his foot. Liam jumped towards Zo'or to support him. Because Zo'or still was completely perplexed, he even forgot to blame Liam for touching him. “Well, perhaps you first should get some new shoes.” he heard Ben say. “What do you mean?” Zo'or asked, indignant this boy obviously wanted to tell him what to do.

Ben swallowed. It was hard for him to believe he was talking to Zo'or and he did not know how to behave. But as a matter of fact Zo'or always had been his favorite character, so he knew him quite well without Zo'or knowing anything about that. “I only meant, platform shoes have too high a risk of injury. Maybe you should get yourself some sneakers.” Ben finally suggested.
“Wait a moment!” Renée said and hurriedly left the room.
“Because the experiment is obviously over, I will concentrate on my work now.” Mit'gai said and went into another room of his laboratory near by. The same moment the door opened again and T'than came in. He briefly looked at those present and then turned to Da'an. “Why was the access denied to me? Obviously Zo'or has arranged this.”
“T'than, we didn't think you would have any interest in this experiment.” Da'an said calmly. “How would you know that, when you didn't inform me at all?” T'than asked, annoyed. “And where is Zo'or?” Then his view fell on the one he sought and somehow it seemed strange to him that a human was wearing a Taelon jump suit. He looked into the woman's eyes and understood.

“Zo'or! What is the meaning of this?” T'than snapped at his rival. “It's an important experiment for the survival of our species.” Da'an answered him. T'than smiled arrogantly. “Possibly, Da'an. But the synod won't be amused, when they find out what you're planning behind all our backs.” T'than said threateningly, then turned around and strutted away.
After a short while Renée came back. In her hands she held some clothing. “Very well, Miss Palmer.” Zo'or said, almost graceful. “Maybe you should help me.” he then said. Renée nodded. “As you wish, Zo'or.” Then she looked at Liam and Ben. Liam cleared his throat. “Ben, I think we can leave now.” But Ben still was confused from the whole situation, so he did not get Liam's hint. “Why?” he asked, uncomprehending, but when he noticed Liam's and Renée's looks, it came to him what they wanted to let him know. His face immediately became crimson red and he followed Liam without any backtalk.
“I'm sorry, Liam.” Ben apologized, when they reached the corridor. “It seems I've been kind of slow on the uptake.”
But Liam grinned at him. “No problem. I also never thought that one day I'd respect Zo'or's privacy.”

“What was that supposed to mean?” Zo'or asked. But Renée ignored his question completely and Da'an just smiled knowingly. So he actually seemed to know more about the humans, than he was willing to admit. Well, Zo'or would get to know about this. And what was so funny to the humans about him being female? They had to know, as one of them he had to belong to one of their two genders.
When Zo'or had finally managed to dress with help of Renée, she left the room, because she obviously had something else to do. Zo'or and Da'an were left alone. “What are you going to do now?” Da'an began. “T'than probably has informed the whole synod, now.”
“I know.” Zo'or replied. “First, I will talk to the synod. But I should also use the time that the experiment will last wisely, and not stay on the mothership.”
“Yes, you're right. I will instruct Major Kincaid to take you to Earth. I suggest you stay the next two days there.” Da'an said.
Zo'or wanted to protest, but realized, he had to admit to this suggestion. The Synod surely would not tolerate a human synod leader. He should pass this position to Da'an for these two days, before T'than could seize it. So he started on his way to inform the synod.

 
* * *
 

Ben and Liam were on their way to shuttle bay, when Liam's global bleeped. He took it out and pulled it apart. Da'an appeared on the screen. “Liam, I want you to take Zo'or to your home for the next two days.” he announced. “But, Da'an!” Liam protested. “You know that could become dangerous for me. And anyway, I don't know what to do with Zo'or then.” “Erm... Da'an, I also think that could be dangerous. Can't Zo'or be put up by someone else? By Renée perhaps.” Ben hesitantly threw in. Since he had begun to work at the 'Flat Planet Café’, because it got too boring for him to watch Sarah working, he was also living in Liam's apartment. And he could definitely imagine something better than living in the same apartment with Zo'or. Besides, the 'Flat Planet’ had always been a good place to meet for members of the resistance. But Da'an interrupted him. “No, the synod denies Zo'or any support. I can instruct only my own employees to accommodate him. If he does not stay away from the mothership, until he is a Taelon again, he'll be sentenced to death and I can't allow that. You're the only one of my employees that I can trust. I ask you for this, Liam.” Da'an said almost begging. “All right.” Liam sighed and ended the link. “Now I know why they didn't implant me a CVI. It just wasn't necessary.” Liam mumbled sarcastically. Ben somehow felt obliged to cheer him up. “Well, at least he momentarily looks better than normal. Who knows, maybe you can take him to the movies or out shopping.” he said carefully. Liam first looked at him, confused, but then he began to laugh out loud, in which Ben also joined.

 
* * *
 

Ben and Liam met Da'an and Zo'or in front of the personal quarters of the synod leader. “All right. Liam, you will protect Zo'or from now on.” Da'an said. “What about Agent Sandoval?” Liam threw in. “He was assigned to other things by the synod for the next two days. He will become Zo'or's protector again, but for now I have to rely on you.” Da'an explained. “Of course.” his protector answered. “Good, I will leave now.” Da'an finally said and left. The three others looked at each other. Zo'or was wearing jeans now, with a t-shirt and sneakers, which was quite confusing to the humans and made it harder for them to believe it actually was Zo'or who was standing in front of them. “I think we should leave the mothership now.” Zo'or finally said. “Yes, you're right.” Liam said.
The three of them went into the direction of shuttle bay, where T'than was awaiting them. “So you're actually leaving the mothership. I hope you'll enjoy your time on earth.” he said sarcastically and went past them into the corridor. “Sha'bra!” Zo'or hissed and then remained silent. During the whole flight he did not say a word, either. His momentary situation at least seemed to embarrass him, especially because the whole synod knew about it now.

Finally they arrived at 'Flat Planet Café’. “We had better get into your apartment quickly so that she... erm he doesn't attract too much attention.” Ben suggested Liam. “Yeah, you're right. And we can't just be standing here for long.” Liam answered and stepped into the café. The two others followed and directly went towards Liam's apartment door. Only Augur and Renée, who also were at the 'Flat Planet’, seemed to have noticed these three.
Liam opened the door so they could enter. “Why are you accompanying us, Mr. Bring?” Zo'or asked the boy. “Well, actually I'm living here.” Ben admitted. “He came to Washington a short while ago with his mother and when she died, I accommodated him here.” Liam explained. That was not exactly true, because Ben had already lived at his apartment before Sarah left, but Zo'or would surely just have become suspicious. “Very well, Major. And what will we do now?” Zo'or said, sounding kind of helpless. Liam grinned. “Maybe we could go to the cinema.”

*To the cinema?!* Zo'or thought. What did these humans mean by that? Of course he knew what a cinema was, but why should he go there and watch one of their movies? On the other hand, perhaps it would give him a chance to know more about the humans. “Fine Major, if you think that's a good idea.” he finally said. But the two humans seemed to be confused about his reply. Obviously they had not expected his agreement. But why, then, had they asked him? The humans really were stranger than he had thought and at the moment he did not understand them any better than he normally did.
“Well.” Liam said. “We'd better stay here for now, but we could of course rent a film from the video shop.” Zo'or looked at both the humans. “All right, do that!” he said in a commanding tone. “Very well. Ben, do you have any idea what we could watch?” Liam asked. “Erm no, but I don't like romances.” the boy replied. “Yeah... hm, I don't know exactly, either.” Liam said. Then he looked at Zo'or. “Erm... I know you probably don't concern yourself with something like that usually, but do you by chance have an idea?” he asked him. Zo'or looked at him, confused. What did this human want from him?? Were these humans not able to do anything by themselves?! “Well, maybe you should choose a movie many humans favor.” he answered.

 
* * *
 

Two hours later:

“Well, I still don't know if we should really watch an action movie.” Ben just was thinking aloud. Zo'or was sitting on the couch and reading the TV guide, because he had given up on discussing it with the humans. Somehow the content of this magazine actually seemed to interest him, though Liam had offered several times to give him a newspaper or a book.
“Well, I suppose it's too late now anyway. The video shop closed long ago.” Liam finally mentioned. “Oh yeah, right, I think you're right about that.” Ben mumbled. Finally they turned to Zo'or who still was reading the TV guide with excitement. *What's so interesting for a Taelon about that anyway?* Ben wondered. “What are you doing there?” he asked Zo'or carefully. “I'm studying your species, this magazine is very revealing.” he got in answer. *Oh great* Ben thought *But if he's interested in that, by me he can enjoy reading it.*

 

End of chapter 3

 

Zurück / Back

 

Zum Seitenanfang